Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenelbows1

Spring is coming!

greenelbows1
19 years ago

Oh, I know we're going to get a freeze again this week-end, and it won't be safe to put out anything tender for at least a month or so, but I've seen new growth starting at the base of the Salvia madrensis that looks so awful all frozen, and new starts at the bases of some of the brugs, which look, if anything, worse. I used to be really careful about cleaning up all that stuff as soon as it froze, but I've learned it can provide a lot of protection for the roots and the new shoots, and things do better if I wait for exactly the right time (ha, ha) to cut them after the last freeze and before the new growth gets large enough to be damaged. (Don't think I've made it yet! Too late or too early every time.) Of course there's bulbs looking perky and fresh, and La. iris getting to the point I'm not going to be able to resist pinching their bases to see if they're 'pregnant', as an iris mentor used to say. I don't really mind cold weather all that much for me, but I sure hate what it does to some of my plants. And I love spring!

Comments (12)

• jim2k
    19 years ago

Amen!If you beleave it will come.Jim

• oldblush
    19 years ago

My wife made the statement yesterday "you have spring fever". I told her "heck I had spring fever December 15th, the first frost". I don't mind cold weather either if it's not here.

• Django
    19 years ago

Every spring seems to have a theme. Last year it was salvias, the year before gingers and cannas. This year it is palms. Watch out.

• flowerofthesun28
    19 years ago

I can tell I am excited about Spring when I can't keep my nose out of the gardening catalogs. I am going to have to get some early blooming bulbs into the ground!!!

• lori2you
    19 years ago

I have already started ordering from the catalogs, here are some of my favorites, Nichols Garden Nursery 1800-4223985,
    Farmers seed and nursery www.FarmerSeed.com,R.H Shumway's
    cataloge1800-437-2733 or www.RHSUMWAY.com, inter-state
    nurseseries www.InterStateNurseries.com and Select Seeds at www.selectseeds.com you can get a copy by requesting one on
    line, and I have found these to be the best. I always get what I order on time and in good condition. Also there are some good sales buy one and get another for a penny.

• bigeasyjock
    19 years ago

All of the rain and grey skies has me all bummed out too :( I hate all of the dead looking garden beds. Any little bit of color helps. I've narcissis I've been cutting and bring in and thats sure been nice. Of course the camellias are awesome. The iron cross is blooming too and the hardy begonias sure are fresh looking with the cool weather but my poor gingers !!!!
    I've been starting all sorts of seeds already. I have several plants already up and going like Che, Tecoma stans, blue La. iris gigan. and pavonia.
    Come on March!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mike

• greenelbows1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Ooh, sunshine!! Isn't it glorious? But down to the thirties tonite. Ugh! So many things have started growing. But step by step--or rather roller-coaster bump by bump--it's getting here. Isn't it great how our sap rises right along with the trees?!

• daveandlaura
    19 years ago

Pretty neat the sap rising. I hate it when cold nights like last night slap mine back down, though. Spent 22 yrs in IA and MO -- that was enough cold thank you very much!

C'MON SPRING!!!!! :D

Dave

• greenelbows1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Boy, I know what you mean about enough cold! Lived in Nebraska for a few years before we moved here, and spent a few more years almost a mild high in the southern Cascades just north of the California border. Both places got to -35 during the time we lived there. I don't ever want to experience that again, or shoveling snow while it's still coming down like was required in Nebraska. I feel pretty silly when I fuss about the cold here!
    Nancy

• hoppes_girl
    19 years ago

Well,when I was knee high to a bullfrog my grandma use to say its not over till the pecan trees sprout and I still believe that today...and fall is coming when the fig trees drop their leaves.Thats the signs that I look for.I have the fever too though.I've already drained and cleaned my pond and little plants sit under grow lights in my living room until its really over.

• oldblush
    19 years ago

hoppes_girl you're absolutely right about the pecan and fig trees. They're the best two indicators of season change that I know of.

• deep_south_gardener
    19 years ago

Hey ya'll,
    Well I just had to take a chance and I put out some
    peppers and tomatoes on Monday. They look fine. I also
    noticed the onion bulbs I planted weekend before last
    have started to sprout. That's fast. I stopped at Home
    Depot this morning and picked up a few things. I just
    can't stay inside on such a beautiful day. Hope ya'll
    are all well and enjoying the sunny afternoon. Chat
    with ya'll later.

Brenda