Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
australia_gw

Do you...

australia
16 years ago

Hi everybody!

Just one question before asking something:

Do you get frost in Louisiana,and Mississippi ?

Thank you

phil

Comments (8)

• lac1361
    16 years ago

Yes we do get a few in both Louisiana and Mississippi even on the coast. Louisiana is probably a half zone warmer than Mississippi along the coast. I'm 35 miles inland in southwest Louisiana and our low this winter so far has been 24F with a 28F and 27F. These temps generally only last a few hours and then bounce back up above freezing.

Steve

• louisianagal
    16 years ago

In s.e. coastal Louisiana, we got occasional frosts, you had to protect your tender plants, of which there were many. Occasional 20's F and every 10 yrs or more teens. In northeast Mississippi where I am now, we regularly go into the teens (Fahrenheit) a week or two each winter, and definitely the 20's alot. Freezing is 32F for those who do metric.

• australia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you "lac1361" and "Louisianagal,for your answer!
    Through this question,my intention was to know if gardeners,of those areas,were growing the "Caesalpinia pulcherima"?
    Thank you
    phil

• lac1361
    16 years ago

Phil,

I don't grow this shrub but it is a common plant in the south, especially Texas. There, it is known as Pride of Barbados, Red Bird of Paradise, or Dwarf Royal Poinciana. My brother grows it in Corpus Christi, Tx and he is in the same zone as I am. It seems to do well in his somewhat arid climate. I get much more rainfall that he does.

Steve

• australia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Steve,is it too much to ask your brother,if he could have the amability to send me some seeds of "Caesalpinia pulcherima" ?
    Or send me his e mail address..
    Of course everything would be paid.
    Thanks in advance Steve
    phil

• lac1361
    16 years ago

I'll ask my brother. It's winter here of course, so the plant is not even in bloom. In his zone, it is sometimes decidious depending on how cold the winter has gotten. I'm sure I'll be able to help out. I might know someone here in my hometown with one as well.

Steve

• australia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you in advance Steve,of what you could do.
    Here is my e mail address in case of:
    lacaze.phil@wanadoo.fr

• danbo
    16 years ago

My neighbor on the Mississippi coast has a Pride of Barbados. I bought one about the same time but kept it in a pot and planted it only last year.

Our lows get down into the mid 20'sF and every few years to the low 20'sF. On really cold nights my ponds do freeze and can have up to a third inch of ice on them.

My neighbors plant seems to freeze down to the ground then comes up from the roots and blooms in summer and seeds. (I hope mine does the same.) As a result it doesn't get as big or as impressive as those grown in the Caribbean.

I have a similar plant, Sesbania punicea. That does well. And is a little more cold resistant. (Though I see California consideres it a noxious weed and is trying to eradicate it.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sesbania punicea

Sponsored
Your Source for Tailored Remodeling Solutions in Loudoun County