Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosedale_z8b_la

Is it Spring yet?

rosedale_z8b_la
17 years ago

I know that we are expecting overnight lows of 32 degrees in the next week. But, is it Spring yet? Two weeks ago the forsythia started blooming and still is. My Niko hydrangia was producing tiny lime green leaves, and still is. Monday when I started pruning roses I found that several were blooming and several had produced full fat buds. Are the plants confused or am I? For reference, I live 15 miles west of Baton Rouge.

Comments (10)

• dannyboquet
    17 years ago

My fig trees are all sprouted and my peach trees and apple trees have a few flowers. Everything else seems pretty dormant. I live in Houma.

• sfca
    17 years ago

We had sun all day --woo woo -weeeeeeeeeeee-sure enjoyed it --Unfortunately rain is on it way tomorrow .Spring ,early summer my favorite time of the year .

• nana24
    17 years ago

I'm looking forward to spring,too. I live about an hour South of Baton Rouge near Morgan City. I have a new yard and am interested in any plant sale that might be coming up. We are just over an hour from New Orleans and I noticed there is a sale in City park in April but that is a long time away. :) In the past I have had plants to give away and will again as my daylillies multiply. I'd really like to find someone thinning their lirope or monkey grass.
    Well, the sun is shinning even though it is cold @ 36 degrees at daybreak. Hope all of you have a nice day and a nice spring.
    Sally

• keiththibodeaux
    17 years ago

I am here in Jeanerette, but from what my plants are saying early spring is here. My figs are starting to leaf out as is my Duranta and a few other things like my Althea. My roses are starting to bloom. Unless we get a hard late freeze, it is here.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Dawn Gardens

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

The paper this morning said the yellow tops are blooming at the roadside, and that's a pretty good sign! Local weatherman said we'd have a couple nights below freezing next week, but the weather channel doesn't agree. Sure is confusing. Too many plants think it's spring and will get nipped at 31. Well--as long as it doesn't get much lower, they'll just shake it off. I'm ready for spring, but not for the over-nineties we had last April! That's Lafayette, I should have said.

• tamivileine
    17 years ago

Yep, I've seen 'em all at the feeder. Robin Redbreast is here! There is hope!

• mrskjun
    17 years ago

Please tell me it's so. I'm so tired of this cold gloomy weather I could spit. My Mayhaw trees are blooming, irises, paperwhites and roses, (which I haven't even pruned yet). But my garden is like a giant sponge, I can't even walk around out there without squishing. I watch my pecan trees, when they start budding, spring is official.

• alblancher
    17 years ago

It is so frustrating between the rain and the short but hard freezes.

I made the mistake of leaving 3 trays of seedlings outside last week. During the day it was in the 60s but dropped down to the high 20s that night. I thought the weather predicted low 40s. I just hope the peaches and figs don't get set back to bad since they have broken dormancy.

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

Frustrated again! Light freeze last night, 34 predicted tonite--and a LOW of 71!!! in about a week! AAARGH!! Rags on the brugs again!

• sfca
    17 years ago

It may be spring now --but I wore my winter jacket to go for my walk ---Burrrr is a cold Easter Sunday !

Sponsored