Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canner2u

Moving and Planting

canner2u
16 years ago

I will be moving to Duson, LA in early May and am wondering what type of garden veggies I can start even at this late date? Also, what types of bushes and flowers grow well during the summer and fall.

Thanks for all help,

Candy

Comments (7)

• canner2u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

BTW ... I am new to gardening so am not familiar with the ins and outs of gardening ...

• greenelbows1
    16 years ago

To give us an idea of what you're used to, can you tell us where you're coming from? There are lots of things that do very well in the summer here, tho' it's getting late for a lot of veggies. They can be started again in the late summer/early fall. We can really garden year-round here, tho' summer gardening is somewhat limited by your tolerance for heat and humidity, and it does get a little chilly this time of year. I moved here from Nebraska so I feel pretty silly fussin' about the cold, but it does get nippy. Some things are a challenge and some things are really easy. When I first moved here I was told there are two kinds of plants here--the ones that die and the ones that take over. It's really not quite that clear-cut of course, but some things are more of a challenge. Duson is quite close to Lafayette, where I live, and maybe I could help with some starter plants--not so much veggies but say, gingers--

• lac1361
    16 years ago

I would buy a book titled Louisiana Gardener by Dan Gill and Joe White. I've been gardening in Louisiana all my life and still get that book out dozens of times a year. Secondly, I would take greenelbows advice and plant gingers. Tropical and hardy in Duscon. Thirdly, I would pay a visit to Stokes Tropicals in Jeanerette/New Iberia and bring a pickup because you will want one of everything.

Steve

• greenelbows1
    16 years ago

Well, check with me before you go to Stokes! I agree he has many great things, but there's no sense spending money if I've got too much of something you'd like. Really need to find a good home for some of these. Guess I should really put up an exchange offer or something, but I don't want to get into something too complicated to keep up with. But I do have too many of quite a few different kinds of gingers--

• louisianagal
    16 years ago

Candy
    I recently moved out of southeast LA due to Katrina, but my best advice to you would be to just check out a bunch of LA and Southern Gardening books from the library if possible. The book by Dan Gill is a great suggestion, and I love the Southern Gardening books. I don't do alot of veggies, and I do mostly spring and summer varieties, but I think you could plant peas, since here in north Miss the paper said to plant snow peas by mid Feb. Maybe broccoli right now but I'm not sure. A ton of shrubs and flowers can be grown in south Louisiana. Dan Gill has a radio program Saturday mornings, I bet you can find it once you're there. Also LSU Ag Center, they have a great website with tons of info.

• canner2u
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the tips ... I am basically planted impatients, marigolds, mostly annual flowers .. like i said i do not have much experience but would like to try more ... since this is the first "place/land" that is mine and I can do as I wish I am looking to see what I can do ...

I will be sure to give you a holler greenelbows1 before going any where ...

Candy

• greenelbows1
    16 years ago

Forgot to check back so I'm late responding, but please do! Duson is very close and I'd love to welcome you!

Sponsored