Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ground cover

Posted by jim2k mississippi (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 16, 05 at 14:37

I need a good ground cover that can be walk on.I thought of Mother of thyme but am not sure if it will do well here. Anybody used it or know of something else. Thanks Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ground cover

I have dwarf mongo grass between stepping stones all along a path. Also between stones that make a patio. (still planting) It does get stepped on and seems to be alright, since it is not a lot of traffic, just a little.

o

I was about to begin to ask this same question when I found this thread, maybe popping this to the top of the forum will spark more responses.

I am building a long 4-foot-wide path out of chucnks of old broken-up sidewalks and driveways (cheap but a ton of sweaty work). I looks great and will look even better when I plant ground cover in the wider gaps between the "stones."

I was enamoured of Corsican mint until I read that it needs shade. This path is sun blasted.

I want something that can tolerate the sun, grow low to the ground and (I hope) be fragrant. Some of the thymes seem to fit this bill.

Anybody have any experience with them as a high-traffic groundcover?

o

Chris - My thymes have not done well in the garden because of the high amount of rainfall and drainage issues. I have even tried growing them in raised beds to no avail. They are in a pot this year and are thriving. I really like ground covers as well. I have creeping jenny, lantana, ajuga, various mints, creeping fig, wintercreeper, strawberry begonias, goldenstar, oenanthe, and laurentia. My best performers in the bed up against my patio where they get baking sun are ajuga and the mints. I have pineapple, regular and chocolate. They do like good drainage. The laurentia is thriving in full hot sun as in the goldenstar. My best performing herb that has returned for four years straight and has spread is a low grower is majoram. I also have lots of ornamental sweet potato. It is perennial for me provided the drainage is good. The white and lavendar trailing lantana has returned for me for six years. Maybe asian star jasmine would work for you? Periwinkles and portulaca also like the conditions you describe. They are tender perennials but may return for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here