Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katladie

Gloriosa Lily

katladie
18 years ago

Has anyone had luck with Gloriosa Lillies coming back. I live in Zone 8b, in French Settlement. I planted it in a pot and it did really good. Sure hope it comes back, but it was worth the price just to see it bloom, if only once.

Sharon

Comments (8)

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

Here in Lafayette I've seen them come back when planted in the ground; someone I know has an absolutely gorgeous one that covers a large camellia bush and is covered with bloom. It dies back, of course, so the camellia can have its season of bloom. Mine has come back every year for some years, tho' it's not as dramatic as hers, probably because it's in an area that hasn't had proper care the last few years. I would think it might not be as hardy in a pot; I have experimented with growing things in pots that aren't reputed to do well this far south (z9) on the theory that their roots would be more exposed without the insulation of soil, and it has worked quite well at least part of the time. Also works for a number of things that need better drainage than we get in a 'normal' year, when it actually rains with regularity!

• keiththibodeaux
    18 years ago

I am just south of Lafayette and New Iberia in zone 9a. Mine have come back for the last 3 years inspite of being mistreated.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    18 years ago

Are gloriosa lily fragrant and how large is the actual flower? They are very pretty maybe I will try one here.
    ~SJN

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

I don't remember a fragrance, tho' that doesn't mean there isn't one. The blooms are really pretty large, maybe 2-3"? and so brightly colored and crinkly they're really very eye-catching. You'll really like 'em, but be patient--they take a few years to be at their best.

• wewaricky
    18 years ago

I live in the northwest panhandle of Florida about 30 miles inland from Panama City. About 10 years ago, a strange looking plant grew up clinging to my chain link fence. I looked in my plant book and identified it as a Gloriosa Lily. That was 10 years ago. I now have at least 100 plants along that fence every summer. They come in 2 waves. . . one wave in mid summer and one wave in late summer. I have had so many plants that I have dug up and given away 30 to 40 plants over the years. Some of the older returning plants have stems as thick as my forefinger while others are tiny. All are beautiful.

• katladie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Gosh, how lucky for you. That must be a sight to behold. Please post a pic this summer if possible.

Sharon

• katladie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yeah, they came back, first one, then about three weeks later the other. The second one is almost as tall as the first. I am so blessed to get to see their beautiful flower again this year.

Sharon

• missy--mouse
    16 years ago

i live in south dakota and have gloriosa liles, in the fall, i let them die down, cut them back, quite watering them, and put my boxes in a cool, dark place all winter, then when may first comes, get them out, water them, and let them go, they are very hardy, the boxes i have them in are about 22 by 9 by 9 and nine inches deep, they are wonderful, and i have six plants in each, next year will probably have to make new boxes for the new tubers, also do this with ismine, amaryllis, and other african and south american plants

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting