Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tropical Plant for my yard

Posted by joker67 8a (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 3, 09 at 16:36

Hi, I live in southern Mississippi and have moved out into the country. I have cleared off a section of land and am now looking for a way to inexpensively landscape my yard. I would like for the yard to have a very tropical look with as little effort as possible. Anything evergreen would be great. Can anyone suggest some plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tropical Plant for my yard

There is a ton of gingers that do well in S MS, of course they(most) wont make it through the winter. I do have some that were frost bitten but are still green for the most part. Add some bananas, bunch of those do well here also.
To me, both are very tropical.
Where do you live? I'm in Vancleave

o
RE: Tropical Plant for my MS yard

OH I forgot, Palms do well here. Palmettoes are native.

o

• Posted by brhgm z8b LA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 18, 09 at 16:21

Cannas, gingers, bananas, and elephant ears die down in winter. LA iris, camellias and encore azaleas bloom in the Fall and Winter. Oriental magnolias such as Saucer, Star amd the Little Girl series defoliate in Winter, also bloom in late winter. Some species roses are evergreen and bloom in late Winter or early Spring like Cherokee, Lady Banks and Fortuniana. All of these plants can give a tropical look. Palms of course are great, but pick them carefully because occasionally a severe freeze burns non-native palms.

o

Pampas Grass is one of my favoirtes as is Fountain Grass. MIne look good all year round but when they bloom with their pretty plumes, they are spectaular. I also like different types of cane. I have Cattails in my back yard where it is always a little wet and Bamboo is great if you get the kind that will not spread much. Mine doesn't but I forget the name of it.

o

I'd have said same of many of these plants, also Hawaiian Ti (Good Luck) plants, Varigated (Shell?) Gingers and Hibiscus, especially when planted on the sheltered east or south side, in the ground and mulched, they'll recover after a freeze damage, better than in the containers <-- what I've been having them in, brought them inside 3 times this winter, usually twice, worth the work, looking good now.
Good luck.

GB

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here