Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louisianagal

north MS gardening and weather report

louisianagal
14 years ago

Hi all,

I really miss the activity on this forum. I know there are a ton of MS and LA gardeners out there. So I am going to plan to post messages regularly here, just little reports about what is going on. I hope others chime in. I miss it!

Today is cold and BLEAK. yeah that's the word: BLEAK. The temps here in the Tupelo area started about 29 this am and are down to about 28. It did not warm up as predicted (35 degrees would have been nice....). I had ordered a hula hoe and was anxious to try it, but just too cold and dreary for me today. Just a minute ago, my dtr brought me outside to see tiny faint little snow flurries, but it stopped.

Yesterday, I was in New Albany MS and driving home in the afternoon, it was eery and pretty to see the ice coating the bare trees and pines. It gave them a grayish white look. Ya'll I'm from SOUTH of N.O. and I've never seen that before! I wish I'd had my camera with me.

In my garden I have hellebores blooming, forsythia starting to bud out, and quinces budding very well. I do not see daffodils coming up yet. At this time of year I'm glad I have some evergreens and nandina with the pretty bright red berries. Stay warm, folks!

Laurie

Comments (10)

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

Laurie, I'm 12 miles SW of Birmingham city center. It has been a dreary, bleak day. I took the cat to the vet at 9am and it wasn't bad. I went out at 5 pm to check the greenhouse heater and it was so cold that raindrops on the greenhouse had turned to ice. The wind is brutal. I'm so happy that frozen stuff hasn't found the road to Bham.

• natal
    14 years ago

Great idea Laurie!

Here in Baton Rouge we're having another mini cold spell after a few days of almost spring-like temps. I've started some garden clean-up, but trying to hold off on some things until at least later in February. It's hard when those warm, sunny days beckon!

Plan to start tomato and pepper seeds tomorrow. Dh put the cold frame together last week, so it's ready for them once they germinate.

• lindamarie
    14 years ago

It was much nicer today. The past two days of rain and cold made want to move to zone 10! I saw some buds on a potted Blackberry. The Kumquats are all frozen. Daffodils are up about 2". I am searching for a tiller to replace my 1972 Troybuilt that I had to sell. I do not know how i would garden with out one.

• katladie
    14 years ago

I am about 30 miles southeast of Baton Rouge, bleak here today also. I have tons of daylilies breaking the soil and new growth on all of the evergreen daylilies. My Carolina Jasmine is loaded with buds and the Snowdrops are up, but no buds yet. The Wisteria and Bridal Wreath are starting to bud up, as is the fig tree. I lost one big Loquat tree, but is was a bit down in the dumps before the big freeze. All of the rose bushes have new growth, except for 2, which I think also were victims of the big freeze. I am hoping the Crinums and Amaryllis come back, the bulbs feel firm, but I see not new growth since the freeze.

Sharon

• iris_lover
    14 years ago

Hello all!
    Great idea, Laurie, for all to post something.
    So much rain lately....ugh!!! only one good thing about it, we had a pond dug back in the summer & it is just about full....

So ready for spring!! and that darn ground hog saw his shadow....we need a ground hog for the south...LOL

We live south of Jackson and supposed to be nice today. I wish I did not have to work so I could stay home to enjoy.

Marie

• natal
    14 years ago

Noticed yesterday that a few trees are budding out ... the swamp red maples, the silverbell, and the river birch. Even seeing some buds on the hydrangeas.

• katladie
    14 years ago

Today was gorgeous and I had to work, yuck. Tomorrow will be 1 minute and 29 seconds longer than today, hurry up spring.

Thursday the rain will return, my poor yard is a swamp, I may as well plant Louisiana irises in the whole yard, lol.

Sharon

• deep_south_gardener
    14 years ago

Hey ya'll great idea to keep in touch. The garden/yard is bleak and I lost a lot to the freezing weather. It will be interesting to see what comes back and what is lost. Lots of dead plants to remove and prune back. I am seeing signs of new life, but just a little. I've been pouring through garden magazines and seed catalogs. Not much else to do with all the rain a cold weather. Well I look forward to hearing more of what ya'll are doing to pass the time during our "down time".

Keeping my hands dirty
    Brenda

• natal
    14 years ago

Sharon, I'm so sick of El Nino! I planted a satsuma in early December, but the spot where I wanted to put the Meyer lemon was too wet. The tree is still in a pot.

• katladie
    14 years ago

Hey natal, I saw on Craig's list someone in Sherwood Forest has 2 bags of African Iris bulbs to give away, it's listed under free. I'd go get them, but I am working through Saturday.

Still wet and rainy here in Livingston Parish.

Sharon

Sponsored