Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vegetable plants for spring

Posted by gooup z9, LA (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 17:39

We purchased a home in May, with two huge oak trees in the backyard. Previous attempts at planting tomatoes at our old home didn't work out too well, as they got too much Sun. We'd like to try to do some tomatoes, bell peppers, etc. in our back yard along our fence. When should i start buying small plants? How can i find our last projected frost?

Any help is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vegetable plants for spring

Generally tomatoes and peppers like full sun, but in south LA, they may appreciate some evening shade. Tomatoes stop blooming or producing when temps get too high or esp night time temps don't cool off. I am from N.O. and the last frost date is traditionally considered to be St Patrick's day (March 17) or St Joseph's day (March 19). Gotta love them Saints. Who Dat! Watch the weather reports to see what the 10 day forecast is, but most folks plant out transplants (small plants) on the above days. The best place for advice would be LSU Ag Center which you will find a wealth of info on any, all types of gardening. (My alma mater!)
www.lsuagcenter.com
louisianagal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here