Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deer eating my fruit trees

Posted by LullabyF360 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 18:04

I have several fruit trees I planted last year. Plum, pear, apple, peach, and pomegranate. The deer from our woods like to eat their leaves. At first I thought there was an issue with the trees, but one night my husband opened the front door, and there they were eating my leaves! They have not touched my grapes or several berry bushes. What can I do to keep them from eating off my trees? I also have wormwood planted directly around my house. I know the "tea" made from wormwood is a natural pesticide, but I was told it will repel the deer, too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deer eating my fruit trees

looks like you need a deer fence....thats really the only thing that will stop them.

o

deer go's great with fruit or any thing.

o

Invite some friends with dogs to run around your property. If they leave their scent it may ward off the deer.

o

Do a lot of people walk around the area where your trees are planted or do you mow that area? If not, you can put up fishing line around them, 1 string around 4' high and 1 at 2'. The deer don't see it but get spooked when they hit it and run away. I did it last year to protect my strawberries, got the idea from a gardening magazine and it worked, but the rabbits got the berries anyway...any good remedies for rabbits?

o

A fence is the single best strategy for keeping deer away from anything they have their mind set on munching. A multi-strategy approach to keeping deer away from your trees may improve your chances. For example, using a deer fence as well as a fear based repellent can increase your odds. In situations where fencing is not feasible, LizinElizabeth's suggestion of stringing fishing line is a very good one. In our neck of the woods, we use Deer Repellent Packs as our fear based repellent. Used alone of with other strategies it works very well to help protect fruit trees. You can find them by simply searching for "Deer Repellent Packs". Their website also has an excellent page devoted to deer fencing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deer Repellent

o

Thanks for all your posts. I know when I worked at hunting lease we had to dump the remains away from any hunting area as they can smell death. So maybe blood meal? I have heard that ivory soap does not work. Maybe human urine or motion detector lights along with fishing line with bells attached? Having a few outside dogs should help also. The best ideas are the ones that work for you so happy gardening.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here