Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting Nursery in MS. Help

Posted by SilverVixen 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 20:27

Does anyone know where to find out detailed specifics of starting a plant nursery in Mississippi? I have been looking for safety and Heath laws and anything pertaining to the actual building of and running a greenhouse with no luck. I have contacted the Amite county office but they told me i need a permit(obviously) then to just start my business and if i don't pass inspections they will shut me down. But they could not tell me what is needed to pass until an inspector shows up. I know most of the federal regulations but i know every state is different. I appreciate any help you guys could give me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting Nursery in MS. Help

Hey. Did you contact your local Extension Service Office? They should be able to assist you. If there is not one in your county, there will be one that serves a combined county area. You can also contact MS State as they are the ag college for the state. Go online to MS State and you may find what you need. They have an extensive horticulture program, trial gardens, etc.

I live about 30 miles from MS State and have recently asked their assistance for my orchard and gardens. Also, I was born in MS but left when I was a teen. Inherited some land and decided to go back there....have found it very difficult as they do not have the laws, inspections, permitting, etc. that I am accustomed to. You will find it difficult to get the info you need because "no one knows anything" or they won't help. So, it's just best to go to the professors and Extension Agents at MS State.

Good luck in your new endeavor!

o

Thanks for the information. I finally found who i needed to talk to. The branch is called the board of plant industry from the ms extension service. I knew i was overlooking something simple like the AG department. Lol so thanks again and hopefully my greenhouse will be open by late spring.

o

pskemissy, where are you at? I'm also about 30 miles from MSU in Columbus. I'm new to the forum and hoping to find other gardeners!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here