Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deep_south_gardener

Local nursery in McComb area for fruit trees?

Is there a local nursery for fruit trees? I'd be willing to travel to Jackson or east to Hattisburg or even south to Gulfport. Or would I be better off on line with a company like Trees of Antiquity? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brenda

Comments (7)

• retsec
    13 years ago

Rimes Nursery in Progress (Magnolia/Progress Road) usually has some fruit trees. Also Hodges Nursery in McComb, off Presley Blvd. used to have some fruit trees. I guess they are still in business. Both of these should have a listing in the Pike County phone book. What kind are you looking for?
    Nancy
    retsec

• deep_south_gardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Nancy, Apples, peaches, pear, nectarine, Maybe two of each. We already have blueberries planted. I don't want a huge fruit garden just enough for us and maybe family or friends. I'll look up the two nurseries you mentioned next time we're in MS. Thanks for the help.

• duckedo
    13 years ago

Hey Brenda. Rankin County Co-Op in Brandon had plenty of all of those kinds of trees 2 weekends ago. They are/were priced around $8. The only down-side is that the trees are kinda small, maybe 4-5 feet. They are located just east of Jackson, right off the interstate. Hope this helps.

Duck

Here is a link that might be useful: Rankin County Co-Op

• retsec
    13 years ago

Just wanted to let you know my husband and I went to the Menge Avenue Flea Market off I10 between Bay St. Louis and Gulfport today. They had two vendors there with fruit trees. They were $5.00 each or 5 for $20. They were nice sizes, we got pecans about 4 feet tall, pink and red dogwood around 5 feet, and bradford pears were taller. Got nice size muscadines. They were out of Alabama. They said they would be back there next weekend. In fruit trees they had apples, pears, cherries, figs, muscadines, and peaches. Several different varieties of each. I would have bought more things to go in a plant sale but we went in the car. I didn't think there would be any plants this time since it has been soo cold. We may go back next weekend. These were wrapped in plastic, not potted.

• leeannlott_gmail_com
    12 years ago

We bought several larger plants at Fazios Farm Supply on Hway 53. They are in the Lizana community north of Gulfport, Harrison County.
    The plants were healthy and bore he next year. They have continued to be very heavy bearers. Over 300 peaches on one. They get their stock from Bracy's in Amite - wholesale only. We are trying to get a lucense so we can buy directly frim them. They might tell you who they sell to in your area. Of all the plants we have bought they are #1.

• leeannlott_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Regarding the vendors were they commercial growers?
    On our state license application we need to list 5 we plan to buy from.
    Do you have info?
    How did the plabts do?

• retsec
    12 years ago

I'm sure the hispanic people selling the bare root trees at the flea market worked for a commercial grower but I don't know who. They had hundreds and hundreds of trees for sale. They were from Alabama. The one I talked to said they would start selling in December again. Most of the trees did fine. We soaked them in water overnight and then potted them up. As for Bracy's, I live about 2 miles from them and my brother drives a delivery truck for them. I can't even get a plant from them. They started out very small and now have acres and acres of trees and plants.

Sponsored