Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Composting - plants from the bayou?

Posted by gooup z9, LA (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 27, 11 at 8:44

i just started my first compost bin and i'm a bit short on green materials (i have plenty of brown leaves and grass). i live right across from a bayou teeming with green growth. Could i add this to even out my green/brown material ratio?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Composting - plants from the bayou?

Excellent idea! Can't imagine why it wouldn't work splendidly. You're talking about the tiny, ever-so-green floating plants that make the lovely green surface of the Bayou?

I'd imagine those plants contain Nitrogen-fixing Bacteria, and would be as good as composting with Legumes. And if your Bayou is cursed with the invasive alien (albeit lovely) Water Hyacinth, I'm certain you'd be getting great Nitrogen, and doing something nice for the Bayou, too. In your hot, wet zone, we should know by July!

Please keep us posted!

o
RE: Composting - plants from the bayou?

Yes, you can!
You can and should also use kitchen waste, such as coffee grounds (considered a green), vegetable and fruit peels, leftovers (beans, peas, etc) -- these would be greens. When you start mowing grass, that will be alot of greens, and you might want to save some browns (dried grass, straw, pine needles, dead leaves, even shredded paper/newspaper/cardboard, becoz in summer you will have lots of greens. I also compost used paper towels and napkins, which are 'browns.' I used to live in St Bernard, zone 9b! Happy composting, Laurie
p.s. Happy Mardi Gras!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here