Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeds..how many?

Posted by rockngreen (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 28, 08 at 8:46

Hi,

Usually we buy plants and plant them. Now, we'd like to start from seeds but I don't remember how many seeds to use. The package doesn't say and so i'm at a loss. How many do you use? Does it matter too what i'm starting from seed? I bought seed packets of Tomatoes, Cucumber, Brocolli, Bell Perrer and Green-Onions.

Also with a smaller yard now, which should I plant in big pots vs the ground? Any advice would be helpfu.

Thanks
from southeast louisiana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeds..how many?

I'm starting seeds for the first time this year too as something to do with my toddler and he picked TONS of seeds and we are going to just grow what he picked out. LOL. I have been doing research and found a "paper towel" method and have had great success so far with it. You should also check out the starting from seed section of the forum

o
RE: Seeds..how many?

As far as pots vs. ground, it is dependent on what you are planting. My recommendation is to look into raised beds on the ground. I am trying that this year with the kids along with my regular large garden. I made a raised bed for the two older kids and am letting them plant what they want in them. I made them 3' wide x 6' long. You can actually plant quite a lot in there. Especially, if you plan ahead and plant one crop after another. Also the LSU ag center has a great publication on their site. Search for the vegetable planting guide.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here