Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving a Bay Tree

Posted by gooup z9 LA (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 19, 11 at 10:33

i have a Bay Tree, that's about 3 1/2 ft tall, that i want to dig up and move. Can i do that now?

i was told i can do it in February while the tree was still dormant. If so, any pointers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving a Bay Tree

I used to live in south Louisiana zone 9b. It's best to move most trees and shrubs during the winter when things are dormant. You are really starting spring there, so it's best to get it moved asap. It is still ok. Dig the hole, where it is going to be moved to, first. Dig the same depth as the root ball you are going to dig, and 2 or 3 times as wide, if possible. Prune the bay tree somewhat so that when you necessarily have to sever some roots, the tree won't have as much top growth to support, and it will be easier for you to handle during the move. Then dig the bay tree out, getting as much of the root ball as you can. Try to put it in the new spot right away, without having the roots exposed to the air. Some people lay the tree on a tarp and drag it to the new spot. Or place in a wheelbarrow or whatever. Then backfill with the soil, adding more soil if needed and organic matter like compost. But definitely mostly use the soil that is there. Water well, and add soil if the soil washes down. Mulch it well with more organic matter like compost, pine straw, shredded bark. I hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here