Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sago palm problems

Posted by wodka 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 11:16

Pre-Katrina we lived in Long Beach, MS and had 3 of the most beautiful, carefree sago palms one could imagine. Only worry we had was that they might get too big (of course, Katrina took care of that AND the house!)

Last year we moved to a nearby town and built a new home, new landscaping, etc. We only have one sago palm, and it looks awful. We have sprayed several times with oil, but it just looks like it is getting worse and wonder if it is too late to save it? Fronds are mostly yellowed, scale is underneath.

If we can save it, what is the best way to go about it? I've read about using manganese sulfate, Scott's Bonus-S lawn fertilizer, Ultrafine spray oil, Cygon, Malathion. What would you recommend, and how often should the sago be treated? Someone once mentioned Epsom Salts, but not sure how or why one would use them.

HELP! Your advice is truly appreciated. If we have to, we'll just dig it up, but I really would hate to.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sago palm problems

Read the attached link. It has lots of good info. The only use I know of for Epsom salts is to green up leaves and promote flowers. Have you tried SuperThrive? I think it is good stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cycad Scale

o

tsmith, thank you for the information. My husband bought some oil yesterday and I sprayed the entire sago. I also went to a nursery that I frequent with one of the infected leaves. She told me to spray about every week or so and when we are through with frost/winter, in mid-March or so, I can prune off some of the leaves. I hope we can save it by doing all of these things. Thanks again for your response.

o

Update and question on my problem sago.....after spraying the leaves several times, I removed the most diseased ones by clipping them (the local nursery advised to do so, after all threat of freezing temps were gone.) A whole new crown of shoots are coming out (Pardon my ignorance, not sure what the term is.) I thought we were on the road to sago recovery when I noticed this morning that there are globs of gel-like substance on each stem where I cut the fronds. What is that all about? We have had at least three days of continuous rain and thunderstorms, but would that be a reason? Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

I appreciate any response. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here