Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leubafr

Roses that are disease/heat resistant z8/9

leubafr
17 years ago

I am trying to rebuild my flower beds (after Katrina) and want to put in some roses that will stand up to this heat and humidity.

I will be shopping this week and need to know what kind the other rose lovers in this area have had good luck with. I need climbers and bush roses. Also, maybe some companion plants.

Help me please! Thanks in advance,

Leubafr (Mary)

Comments (8)

• pieohmy
    17 years ago

The LSU ag center website had this pdf on roses. There is a good list of roses for our area.

Here is a link that might be useful: roses

• leubafr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh thank you! ! ! I knew someone out there would have a great resource for the answers I need.

Thanks for your information,

Leubafr

• mrskjun
    17 years ago

The roses that do best for us, are the chinas, teas, and noisettes. And that is not hybrid teas, but the old teas. Much less prone to blackspot in our high humidity.

• joet1485
    17 years ago

I too have replaced a number of plants after the storm and I can recommend a couple of things. Stay away from newly patenteed roses and it's just as easy to buy on the net as go to a nursery. The antique rose emporium is a good source. Roses like Dainty Bess, Dortmund, Cherokee, New Dawn and the older patented roses do well in this area. I didn't lose any roses to the storm but planted a bunch after I got back. It's not too late to plant potted roses even now.

joet1485

• Joeray
    17 years ago

I have a Buck rose, Carefree Beauty, that does great here (Baton Rouge). It lives up to its name. I'm not sure if you can find in locally; I originally got it from Park Seed Company, about 10-15 years ago. It's self rooted, so it can be propagated fairly easily. As a matter of fact, the plant that I have now is not the original one, but a rooted cutting. Do a Goggle search to find out more.

• daisydella
    16 years ago

I too am always searching for roses that are resistant to the dreaded black spot. I planted one this year that has been the best for me, it's called Tahitian Sunset, the blooms are HUGE and yellowish, pinkish color, beautiful!

• ironhat2
    16 years ago

Do a Google search and put in earth kind roses. On the site you will find a list of roses that have been field tested by Texas A & M and have proved them to handle adverse conditions and grow well. Check it out. These roses were grown under adverse conditions and did well.

If youÂre looking for shrub roses, most Dr. Buck roses will do well in our area. They are tough plants.

I am a new member of the MSOGR Society here in MS, and we like to promote the OGR. These old guys will get black spot on occasion but they are survivors. With a little care and an occasional spraying, they should do great for you. Just be sure to choose a class of OGR that will grow well in our area with our humidity and such. I have been told that most of the chinas, teas and noisets (sp?) will do well in our area. Check out Chamblee's or the Antique Rose Emporium as a source for quality antique plants.

Good luck,

Dan

• bruglover
    16 years ago

I have 3 old climbers/ramblers and one shrub rose in SE Louisiana.

The Tausendschon didn't get blackspot for years, then suddenly a terrible case of it, so I cut it back nearly to the ground last year and am spraying it now. It blooms unbelievably in the spring - covered with pink. And it's thornless or nearly so.

Mrs. B. R. Cant has been spot-free, but I've only had it two years. It was bulldozed up, and I pulled it out of the trash.

I've got two 3yo Gardenia ramblers that were given to me and have shown no hint of blackspot thus far. Careful, these roses are a handful, I cut them back 3-4 times a year and they're thorny. Gorgeous, though.

Three Agrippina climbers (or Cramoisi Superieur, Cl), which are 3 years old and show no signs of blackspot yet. They started out slowly after transplanting and just took off this year, and now they're taking over my life and my fence, lol.

Another note: I inspect my roses frequently but don't spray until I see a spot.

Sponsored