Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting ideas for north side of house?

Posted by dtullier 8b LA (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 21, 08 at 13:06

My house faces north and gets a sun shade mix during the summer. During the winter, it is almost 100% shade. I am looking for some planting ideas for this side of my house. Can anyone help me out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting ideas for north side of house?

I just started up a new garden bed in the back of my house, which is the north side with similar conditions. There are no trees just shade from the house. A guy that runs a local garden center said that is not really shade becoz it gets light. Still I am planting shade tolerant plants there. You could pick plants for shade or part shade. I have lorapetalum, pieris, mahonia, and will add camellia. I also will add ferns, and astilbe. Hostas also do well in shade. I love the mahonia and camellias becoz they are green in winter, one with berries, and one with flowers. In your zone and in Louisiana, you don't have as much to worry about becoz winters are mild. I am always looking for plants that don't look dead in winter. I would love to grow oakleaf hydrangea, had 2 that died in another spot, but they are plants that like shade, as do other hydrangeas. I think you will be able to find alot of good plants. Heucheras (coral bells) also. Good luck, I think it will be a great garden.
Laurie (from St. Bernard before Katrina)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here