Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckyone711

Best trees for containers?

luckyone711
12 years ago

Does anyone have suggestions about a good tree to plant in a large (approx. 3' diameter by 4' tall) container? I would need it to shade my deck, which receives afternoon sun and gets VERY hot in August in south Louisiana! The deck is surrounded by concrete down by a river. I thought about a nice palm but have been having second thoughts considering we have had some pretty cold winters before this past one. Thanks for any advice...

Comments (4)

• louisianagal
    12 years ago

I hate that you haven't gotten an answer, so I'll give it a try. I really am not experienced with growing Trees in containers. Some thoughts would be dwarf citrus, dwarf crape myrtles (might be too messy on a deck), Little Gem magnolia. Possibly a large shrub which can also be considered a tree, like camellia (but might be too sunny for that) or tea olive. Some palms are winter hardy but I don't know which ones. Your best bet might be to contact your local nurseryman (not the big box garden centers) for ideas.
    Laurie (lived most of my life in 9b)

• luckyone711
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much, Laurie. I was just hoping I would find someone who could give me an actual success story. :-]

I do like the idea of the magnolia. I thought the same thing about the crepe myrtle - too much mess. I'll make the rounds of the nurseries and see if they have any suggestions.

• grammyof4joann
    12 years ago

I had a little gem magnolia tree in a 24" clay pot just off the side of a low deck for years. It did great. Decided to plant it in the ground so that it would get bigger. It stayed about 8' tall in the pot.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

Try the Florida Gardening forum. Tons of people in Zone 9b and lots of traffic on the forum.

Sponsored