Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pole beans

Posted by julieann_grow (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 28, 06 at 17:16

How many pounds of beans should I expect to get from one pole bean plant, like Scarlett Runner? And, for how many weeks will it produce? I have good soil and lots of sun.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pole beans

• Posted by cgenec 7A-north MS (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 28, 06 at 23:39

Most people who plant pole beans plant a "row" of them. One cannot expect to get several pounds of beans from one plant as one would from tomatoes. With good fertilization, water, freedom from pests one should expect to harvest for 3-4 weeks, but only a hand full at a time from one plant.

o
RE: Pole beans

I never got good yields on pole beans with several varieties I tried. Finally, a friend gave me some local seed of Rattlesnake (?) pole beans. They are great. The plants are very vigorous, very productive, and produce over a long time - about 1 month of very high production and then 1-2 more months of declining production. The beans are large and purple striped. The only downside is the pods are not completely stringless, especially if they hold on the plant. I have seen the seeds in local hardware, feed, and garden stores that deal with more local varieties that they buy in bulk and repackage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here