Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greylady7

starting a garden

greylady7
15 years ago

Hello my name is amy and i will be starting a garden , from scratch in st.amant louisiana at my daughters house and being a native new yorker im very nervous. what perenials can i use? i normally depend on certain old standards as my flower garden backbone like coneflower ,black eye susan for late color, annuals like zinnias and cosmos. i use peonies with my iris and roses and clemantis... im going to be so lost starting over in a whole new place. im no fan of yucca... and advice or suggestions are appreciated, maybe a book to guide me? im planning a raised bed of flowers and one of veggies too! tia

Comments (6)

• caterpillar2moth
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Amy! I'm from South MS. My suggestion is to try some natives such as Milkweed, Gaura, Hardy Hibiscus, Lavender Hyssop, Passion vine, and Coreopsis. Other plants that thrive in my area are Red Hot Poker, any Morning Glory, Cuphea, Dahlias, Gazania, Vinca. Ofcourse Cosmos will grow anywhere, but as much as I love Zinnias I've found few that can tolerate the humidity w/out developing powdery mildew. I have seeds for some of the plants I mentioned. I would be happy to send you some if you like. Good luck. *Ashley*

• greylady7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you very much both for the advice and the kind offer. so do tropical type plants do well as a rule? ive actually had troubles with powdery mildew here in nyc as it is.

• deep_south_gardener
    15 years ago

Hello Amy,
    I'm in the New Orleans area. I have some pass a long
    plants if you are interested. I'll make up a list this
    week and post for you. If you're interested in any
    of them maybe we could meet halfway or something.
    How large of an area are you going to have? Are you
    going to have a color scheme? I have some extra
    eggplants also if your going to have any veggies.
    I started some and then forgot I did and started
    some more. I worked in the garden yesterday and
    today. What a glorious weekend to work outside.
    I didn't think it was going to be so nice with all
    the rain we had this week. I'm also reading a
    book by Sharon Lovejoy, 'A Blessing of Toads'
    It's a great book for gardeners.
    Welcome to the south Amy.

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: http://community.webshots.com/user/deepsouthgardener100

• plan9fromposhmadison
    15 years ago

Welcome to the Deep South, Amy!

I lived on Lake Ponchartrain's North Shore for a while, and so can tell you a few things that I noticed did really well.

Lilium Formosanum, which blooms in August and September, is the best real lily for you to grow. Growing from seed, or buying only seed-grown bulbs is the best way to be sure you're getting virus-free plants. But Formosa Lily grows in the ditches on the Northshore, so this is not a fussy plant. The bloom stalks can reach eight feet. It looks like a giant Easter Lily.

Crinums are an absolutely foolproof bulb, with beautiful strap-like leaves, and lily-like flowers. They love our Southern heat. A clump of Crinum can last for generations.

Paper White Narcissus, which may be borderline tender in New York, will thrive down here, along with a number of selections from the Daffodil/Narcissus clan.

Crocosmia seem to do well here. I imagine you've seen or grown them in New York, too.

Lycoris is another bulb that loves our heat. I spotted a colony of Golden Lycoris (Aurea) on a lawn opposite 'Friends' restaurant in Madisonville, La. Since then, I've seen a few scattered about.

Daturas/Brugmansia positively ADORE Louisiana. I remember seeing one plant in Terrytown, in full bloom near Christmas, reaching the soffit line of a little ranch house with its giant yellow blooms.

Four-O'-Clocks love Louisiana, too, and are perennial there.

Morning Glories are perennial in the New Orleans area.

Daylilies do well everywhere, but you have the opportunity to grow the evergreen varieties not hardy farther north.

Louisiana Iris are an obvious fit, with both wild types, and an endless array of fancy hybrids, to choose from.

Even here in Madison, Mississippi, many Gladiolus (not just the 'hardy' ones) are hardy. They're popping up, right now, all over my neighborhood. I'd imagine 50% of the ones you'd buy in a bargain mixture would come back the next year (and start multiplying) in your climate.

Landscapers use lots of Agapanthus down your way. My favorite is 'Elaine', with intense Gentian blue blooms.

Also in an array of blues are Plumbago. This is a favorite in Uptown New Orleans, cascading out of pots, and used as a bedding plant.

Here in Madison, Snapdragons are used as winter-blooming bedding plants. Likewise, you can count on Pansies and Violas for blooms from October until May.

As for 'Tropical' plants, I'd try Monstera Deliciosa, which you can see in Terrytown, reaching the eaves of some rather squat little 60s-modern houses. In New York, you've seen it as a house plant. Our native Palmettos are great as eye-level palms.

AND DON'T MISS THE GINGERS! Most of the ornamental Gingers are hardy in Ascension Parish. I'd start with the basic white 'Butterfly' Ginger (most wonderful fragrance possible), and expand my collection from there. Gingers form big colonies, and are pretty foolproof.

Canna lilies, I'm sure you've seen in New York. Here, they are absolutely hardy, and grow like crazy. There are native varieties growing in the ditches of St. Tammany Parish, plus countless 'improved' cultivars. 'Bengal' and 'Praetoria' are two 'fancy store-bought' cultivars in vogue right now, but most anybody you meet will probably share a clump of whatever kind they have growing. I bought Cannas mislabeled as 'City of Portland' (Lowe's) and got a wild variety with vermillion blooms that seem to pull the Humming Birds down out of the sky. Had zero hummers before those Cannas arrived. Now, they drop in all summer long.

You didn't ask about shrubs, but I will mention the top three must-have categories; Citrus, Camellias, and Roses.

I'd go for miniature citrus trees. I grew Meyer Lemon, in pots, on the Northshore. They'd come inside (still sporting lemons) around Christmas. They'd bloom inside (incredible fragrance), and I'd hand-pollinate. But plenty of people grow Oranges, Kumquats, and Meyer lemons outside. Miniature citrus can be covered during rare cold snaps. I think finding the right sun-trap against the house is the tricky part. The grandfather of one of my friends brought lemon seeds to Jackson Mississippi from Palermo. His tree became large enough, over fifty years, to have a sizable trunk. Your climate is far warmer than Jackson's.

Camellia Sassanqua starts blooming around October, and blooms into December, which is when Camellia Japonica begins to bloom. I have Camellia Vernalis, which blooms November-December. Sassanqua likes more sun, and puts on the greatest show. The more compact double pink varieties absolutely explode with bloom, when they are happy. They are usually happy.

As for roses, an aunt in South Carolina passed along a little mnemonic device that applies all over the Deep South: "Polyantha Noisette likes her Tea in a China Cup."
    But in your neck of the woods, I'd skip the Polyanthas and Noisettes, and stick to roses that are as close as possible to the old garden varieties of Southern China. Ashdown Roses, Antique Rose Emporium, and many others, offer antique roses ideal for your area. I'd start with 'Mrs. Dudley Cross', which, once established, will require no care at all. This is a Tea (as opposed to hybrid tea), with soft pink/creme blooms. Just be sure it was grown on its own roots. Most grafted rootstocks are inappropriate for the Deep South.

Hope this is good for a start, and, once again, welcome to our part of the world!

• matprice
    14 years ago

lots of good suggestions! I also love agapanthas they do very well in my flower beds. Ashley is right though while my zinias do ok... they never get big or flower well. before they curl up from to much moisture. Marigolds do very well. Hibiscus, and my favorite wave petunias they thrive down here even in poor conditions. They are a little time consuming though to dead head cause the more you dead head the more they grow and grow FAST. I am always on yahoo msnger my handle is gator21475 give me a yell i will be happy to help ya out.

Here is a link that might be useful: My 3 month old garden at the new house

• katladie
    14 years ago

I now live about 10 miles east of St. Amant, and grew up about 20 southwest of there in Ascension Parish. Zinnias always did great for me at both locations.

Glads will come back here, and don't forget Zephyranthes, Gloriosa Rothschildiana and Achimenes.

If children will be involved in the garden please be sure to check for the toxicity of any plants you use. Brugs, Daturas, and Oleanders are just a few of the highly toxic plants.

Good luck with your garden.

Sharon

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County