Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heidiho_gw

Aloe and Mother-in-law tongue's froze this year

heidiho
16 years ago

I usually always bring my plants in or at least cover them up when we have 32 or below degree weather but due to surgery I was unable to bring my plants inside or cover them when we had a couple of frosty mornings and now they're all droopy and browish and just look like they're dead. Can I just trim them up and hope they come back? We don't get very hard freezes here so I'm thinking maybe the roots are still ok.they're in big pots. I've got a couple of big Mother-in-law tongue's and 2 big aloe vera's that look horrible. Should I just throw them out or can they be repotted and saved? Thanks for your time and have a nice week.

Comments (7)

• greenelbows1
    16 years ago

My sympathy! There's quite a good chance they'll come back, but be sure they don't get too wet between now and when they start coming back--and I'm not sure how wet is 'too wet'! Take off the mushy stuff I think--that could bring on rot. I have things I didn't get in or covered that may or may not come back too, and I find it's a gamble, but one that I often win. I just have too many plants and not enough space to store them! I'm not as hopeful about the Mother-in-law tongue's chances as about the aloe I'm afraid--I have three different kinds of aloe outside and unprotected, and they're okay, tho' they're on the 'warm' side of the house. Can't remember what's happened when I left sansevierias out, but that may be why I don't have as many different kinds as I used to! Good luck!

• abnwife
    16 years ago

Hope you are recuperated from surgery. Just wanted to let you know my mother-in-law tongues did the same thing. Pulled all the mushy out and then left them alone and they are growing back better than ever. As always with gardening, patience is a virtue. Take care.

• janet_ms
    16 years ago

If your mother-in-law tongues don't come back, I'll be glad to send you some!! I have a lot of them that are from 28 year old stock. I keep dividing and giving them away. Just email me and let me know.

• danbo
    16 years ago

I made half your mistake. I remembered to bring in the mother in laws tongue but forgot the young and much smaller aloe.

I found it in early january in really bad shape. And brought it in. It still looks pretty bad, but it is sending up new growth. Good luck.

• heidiho
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to all of you for the info.
    Thanks so much Janet but I think with a little tlc my plants will be ok again.I just took all the dead looking stuff out and put them out in the sunshine and they are looking better.
    Don't give up Danbo. Yours will be ok too.
    abnwife; Surgery recovering is over and I'm doing fine. Thanks for the concern.

• devadoll
    16 years ago

I have an aloe that I planted in my flower bed last summer (it was a sprout off a New Orleans friend's aloe). As it was in the garden bed and not in a pot, I left it out through the winter. It did get brown and mushy on the ends as did it's two baby sprouts. Last week I clipped off all the mushy and they are perking back up.

Good luck and I'm glad you're recovering from surgery well!

Deva

• heidiho
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Deva for the info and care.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting