Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louisianagal

North MS 'springwatch' report

louisianagal
15 years ago

On Wednesday saw crocuses, in flower, coming up on my lawn and muscari bulbs also in flower. Daffodil foliage has been up about a week.

Saw a robin or two this week. Saw 2 mockingbirds doing a "courtship dance" as best as I can determine. Saw this on 2 separate days. Not sure if it's the same mockingbirds.

No forsythia noted yet. But I did force a branch indoors this week and it bloomed easily.

Well, I have been waiting so long, but I plan to thoroughly soak up the sun and mild temps this weekend, and hopefully do some gardening.

Laurie in Lee County

Comments (7)

• deep_south_gardener
    15 years ago

Hey Laurie,
    My family and I are in the the NOLA area. We are currently
    looking at property just south of and north of the Meridian area. Recreational for now but retirement for the future.
    What are some of the differences you have faced coming from
    south LA and gardening now in North MS? I know I will face
    the problem of deer, rabbit and other wildlife I certainly
    don't have here. Do you have critter problems? Do you have
    any advice? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Brenda
    Harvey,LA

• mrskjun
    15 years ago

Watching here too! Azaleas are blooming, bearded iris, snowdrops, paperwhites, Louisiana iris, blossoms on the mayhaw trees, and a few roses. Going to get out and do some pruning today. I check my pecan tree for budding leaves, they are always reliable. But nothing so far.

• amelia_pepper_lady
    15 years ago

I noticed the azaleas last weekend. I also noticed that some trees are beginning to bud. (Couldn't tell which ones as I was on a motorcyle.)

I am SO ready for spring. I would love to move my cuttings and seedlings outside. Just afraid we will have another "cold snap."

• Donna
    15 years ago

I was out in my yard this morning and noticed that one of my REdbud trees has a few blooms on it and loads of buds getting ready to pop. A very good sign! I have at least half a dozen varieties of Daffodils blooming, camellias, hellebores, and, of course, pansies. The Bridal Wreath Spirea is leafing out (probably no blooms AGAIN this year due to a late freeze) and the Baby's Breath Spirea is positively beautiful right now. Loropetalum beginning to bloom too.
    Lots of things are stirring and coming up. It's six weeks till our last frost date, but I won't complain if spring comes early.

I live in Meridian, Brenda. We moved here from New Orleans twenty years ago. I love gardening here because there is a wider variety of perennials that will thrive here than in N.O. I never was, nor am I now, a great big fan of tropicals: some folks like vanilla, some like chocolate. Therefore, I thoroughly enjoy gardening here. Lots in Meridian tend to be larger too, which gives me more space. Our first freeze typically comes between Thanksgiving and Christmas each year. Our last frost date is April 15th. Yes, critters can be a problem, depending on where you live. My old house was in an established subdivision with no woods around it. I never had a single problem. My new house is in a new subdivision with dense woods: armadillos and deer are a plague and I don't know which is worse. Both are worse in the winter than during the summer, which is SOME comfort, but not much. :)

Meridian is very different from New Orleans, a much slower lifestyle, more family and church oriented. I am not cut out for the big city. I love it here. I hope you will too!

• natal
    15 years ago

Donna, I lived in Meridian for about 7 years in the '70s. Definitely a slower lifestyle, but I enjoyed it.

Here in Baton Rouge the azaleas are in full bloom. My front yard has the old Formosa variety. The live oak is dropping its leaves. The Silverbell is in bloom, the Swamp Red maples are budding out ... Grancy Greybeard too. My tomato seedlings are in the cold frame waiting to get transplanted into the garden in 2-3 more weeks. Love this time of year, but I hate the pine & oak pollen that'll soon coat everything in its sight.

• poohfan61
    15 years ago

The dogwood's are in bloom and azaleas, red buds and tulips are all in full bloom in the Oxford area.

• deep_south_gardener
    15 years ago

Hello Ladies, We're still searching for property. We won't be moving for several years, but will be enjoying the property as recreational. I didn't think it would be so hard to find what we're looking for but it has and the weather hasn't helped any. This weekend looks like a wash out and some of the sites have since been sold. A creek would be nice, if not we could build a pond. Enough acreage for hunting would be nice for my hubby. Our boys would love four wheeling. The grand kids just want room to roam. Of course I need room to garden. It would be nice to not be too far from family and friends here in NOLA. There's also other considerations, such as road frontage, utilities, and
    nearby necessities. So much to consider. I'll keep ya'll
    posted. The garden is really off to a good start this
    spring. We (my grand son and I) started some veggies
    from seed and they are doing well, all though not ready
    to go into the garden. The herbs in the garden are
    doing well and several plants are bloomin. The weeds
    are too so I'll need a sunny day to get them under control.
    Seems like I have more this year than usual. Well it's late
    I'd better get ready for bed. Ya'll have a wonderful evening. We'll chat more later.

Brenda

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz