Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newtie_gw

Amazing Rosemary

newtie
15 years ago

Ya'll will think i'm crazy, but my neighbor planted a rosemary smack dab against the base of a mature longleaf pine, facing South, on a vacant lot i own. That rosemary has been there three years growing like crazy in shade for a couple of years now and is almost up to my chest from a small 6 inch high plant. It gets virtually no care and is one of the healthiest rosemary plants i have seen in this area, or anywhere. What's up with that? Right against the base of a tree! When he planted it i smugly told everyone that i did not think it would do worth a flip in that location since Rosemary does well in Greece in full sun, and the bottom of a longleaf pine in Southern Mississippi is not exactly Athens.

Comments (5)

• graanieb
    15 years ago

Goes to show you, it's so hot down here even a rosemary seeks shade!! Long leaf pine provides enough shade , plus protection and most of all-more porous soil! I don't think it bloomed there though, did it?
    In Dalmatia we've had trailing rosemaries covering the walls, but in that area -as in Greece, sun isn't as hot nor did we get as cold spells as here.
    Btw, you can root rosemary rather easily.

GB

• User
    15 years ago

I tried to grow it in my herb box on the porch. It started out rather well but then it just fizzled out. The basil, thyme, lemon balm, parsley, chives, etc. did great. Do you think I just got a weak plant or does it need something other than normal care?

• graanieb
    15 years ago

What happened with a few rosemaries I've tried to grow, too moist soil, try planting them in more sandy soil, mix in some small rocks and most important, keep it on the dry side, let soil be dried before watering, being constantly moist can do them damage. Good to do Google search for more info too, I will, need to learn more on what's the best soil mix.
    Someone else has helpful suggestions? It'd be appreciated.

GB

• plan9fromposhmadison
    15 years ago

Even hot, sweltering Palermo is something like 500 miles farther north than Southern Louisiana. Parts of Northern Africa are farther north than you are. The pine is creating a breeze, providing filtered light, and (possibly most important) preventing soggy soil conditions, year-round. Being evergreen, the tree wicks water out of the soil in winter, the most dangerous time for Rosemary in our region. I assume the tree canopy is far above the ground, so that winter sun can reach the Rosemary?

Thanks for this thread! I think I'll try Rosemary at the base of my taller pine.

• newtie
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That has got to be it. The pine is providing some protection from the drenching cold winter rains that are death to rosemary. It's tree canopy is high and the shade it provides is fairly light compared to many deciduous trees. The soil rises naturally up to the trunk, providing good drainage and there is plenty of mulch provided by shedding pine needles in the Spring as the new needles push out.

Sponsored