Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joeray_gw

Apples for the Deep South

Joeray
16 years ago

I'm wondering if anyone in our area is growing apples trees with any success. I know there are some developed for warm climate areas, such as the Anna variety. Anyone getting these apple trees to thrive in our climate?

Comments (4)

• karpes2
    16 years ago

Joeray
    I am growing Golden Dorset, Anna. Einshimer, Yellow Delicious and Gala. These are young trees and so far the Anna produced a few apples last year. They are all doing well but they are aphid magnets.

• davidandkasie
    16 years ago

we had 2 apples trees when we bought our house. 1 was 3 years old and the other just a year. the previous owner died before we got a chance to ask what type they were though. the older tree did not make it after the 2nd year we were here, due to unusual flooding it suffered root rot. the other tree is on a mound and doing good. it had 1 apple on it last year and wouldn't you know it, a darn bird got it the day we went to pick it!

• divenurse
    16 years ago

Apples and La just don't seem to mix. I'v tried and lost 5 diff. varieties... I do still have the Anna alive and mine makes a few(like yours)but, its not thriving. Plums and apricots do ok though...When I can keep the fungus/mold at bay.

• karpes2
    15 years ago

divernurse
    How old and what variety is the apricot? What are you spraying for fungus/mold?

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner