Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenelbows1

What's a 'wmall' tree?

greenelbows1
19 years ago

Got an informational piece from the phone company with my bill, and one part keeps comin' back to me. They advise planting slow-grwing shrubs or trees ten feet tall and under near telephone and power lines. Doesn't say how tall they should eventually get--guess I'll move or die so I don't have to worry. Calls medium-sized trees 10-15 feet tall, and large trees 15-30 feet. Those aren't the size definitions I've always heard. I certainly agree it would be extremely helpful if people wouldn't plant trees that sooner or later will have to be butchered to make room for the power lines. Nothing looks much worse to me than a tree that's been whacked to fit a spot it should never have been planted in. But I keep going back to the sizes they list. Guess a small tree would have to be a bonsai if 10 to 15 feet is medium! Or is it just me?

Comments (6)

• greenelbows1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Of course I meant a 'small' tree. Can't believe I didn't catch that!

• lavinton
    19 years ago

Can't ...the Bald cypress ......... reach heights of 100-150 feet? The old oak trees in my yard are so tall I have to lean my head back and look way up ...also the old pecans .So they must be extra extra extra large if they are saying large trees are 15-30 feet .
    I agree about the butchered trees . We have a cedar that was here when we bought and the top keeps getting cut out of it because is under a telephone line . The kindest thing to do would be to take it out .I think I will put on my list of things to have done in the yard this year .
    I have made the same mistake with bushes..scrubs planting to close to foundations etc ..not allowing enough room for them to grow .
    LOL I was really trying to think what a 'wmall' tree was before you posted you meant small.

• greenelbows1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Come to think of it, I do have some Cassias that probably don't even get over six feet tall. I always feel a little silly calling them trees, even 'wmall' trees. I was born in the Pacific Northwest, and was bitterly disappointed (well, 'bitterly' might be overstating it!) when I saw my first 'giant redwood' because they're so short compared to my beloved Douglas firs. Thirty feet for 'tall' just really boggles my mind!

• WannaBGardener
    19 years ago

You got me on this one. I am always learning about new plants after moving to the south, and just as I was begening to feel plants of the south smart, up comes this "Wmall Tree" :-)

• Pterostyrax
    19 years ago

There are numerous small trees that are suitable for underneath power/phone lines. Some might quibble and call some of these shrubs, but they are all suitable woodies.

Crepe Myrtle - numerous varieties that fit in the 10-15' range
    Styrax, sp. - Great little small tree
    Dogwoods - both native and kousa
    Redbuds
    Mexican plum
    Numerous cryptomeria varieties
    Several red cedar varieties
    Sweetbay magnolia
    Numerous species/varieties of Chinese/Japanese magnolias
    Japanese maples
    Various hawthorn varieties
    Various Amelanchier species

I could go on and on, but these are some starting suggestions to explore further.

• greenelbows1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

It wasn't that I needed a list so much as that I was just puzzled by their listing that called anything over ten feet tall a 'medium' tree. Actually I've seen crepe myrtles that would be 'large' trees by their definition! I'm lucky--the power lines go on the other side of the street, so I don't have to worry about competing with them (except the lines to the house of course) and I agree most enthusiastically about planting with them in mind so no more trees have to be butchered. And I'll add my favorite to your excellent list--Chionanthus retusus, the Chinese fringe tree. Shaped like a live oak so it has had no damage in hurricanes, lovely bark, beautiful branching pattern, just starting to bloom now with its marvellously fragrant flowers, and small blue berries in the fall the birds love. If I could only have one tree (horrors!) that would be it.

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator