Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janet_la

Is it time to plant Four O'Clock seeds?

janet_la
20 years ago

I bought a package of mixed color seeds that I want to add to one of my beds, but I'm not sure when they should be planted. Has anyone grown them from seeds before? I'm in Denham Springs, near Baton Rouge if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Janet

Comments (27)

• michelleg
    20 years ago

Be aware that if you decide you don't like the 4 o'clock plants, they are practically impossible to get rid of. A friend gave me some 15+ years ago and I tried to get rid of them for years before giving up. We just threw them on the ground on the north side of our house, where ferns grow. If you'd like to come to New Orleans and dig them up, let me know. They are pink. Michelle

• janet_la
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I already have some pink ones, so I know I like them. I know they will reseed, but how invasive are they? The ones I have were here when I moved here nearly 4 years ago, and don't seem to be spreading like wildfire.

Still looking for the answer to when to plant seeds - anybody know?

• bigeasyjock
    20 years ago

Its not the seeding thats the problem. Its getting rid of the tubers that form under ground. Like a lot of tuberous plants any little piece left behind will soon be a full grown plant again. I have the fushia colored ones and they are impossible to get rid of once going. I do still like them ... not that I have much choice :> Mike

• janet_la
    Original Author
    20 years ago

So, do they pretty much stay where you plant them? I know they're almost impossible to get rid of, but will they try to take over the entire bed? The ones I already have were here when we moved here 3 1/2 years ago. They are planted along the house, but not in a bed. The ones along the outer edges tend to get cut down by the lawn mower or weedeater, so it's hard to tell if they "travel" (the previous owner also planted a satsuma tree 1 foot from the house in the same area - we've found a lot of things in *interesting* locations, lol!).

• lisa455
    20 years ago

I planted some around this time last year or in early April in potting soil on my patio. They sprouted fine.

• louisianagal
    20 years ago

i believe dan gill's garden column in times picayune says ok to seed them in now. generally after mid march it is ok.

• shelbyclay
    20 years ago

I wish someone would tell me about things like this! I just spent three days digging out every elephant ear bulb I could find in my large Island garden. Then It looked so nice I planted a packet of 4 O'Clocks along the edge! I hope they aren't as bad as I think they are going to be.
    Wish me luck, Shelby.

• zippity1
    20 years ago

DO NOT PLANT 4 O'CLOCKS
    Yes, they DO go all over your yard
    when we bought our house, they surrounded the pool, they were over 6 feet tall you couldn't even tell a pool was there. they have "volunteered" all over the yard, they are even growing in the empty lot behind our house (2 1/2 acres)
    I have worked for two years trying to dig all of them up, some of the tubers are bigger than a cantalope, they are still coming up!!UGH DO NOT PLANT 4 O'CLOCKS>

• janet_la
    Original Author
    20 years ago

OK, I've decided to plant them in large containers on my patio, away from any grassy area. At least they won't be able to re-seed on concrete, and can only spread as far as the edges of the container!

Thanks to all for your input.
    Janet

• harrytanner
    19 years ago

Please, if anyone would love to share some 4 O'clock seeds or let me know where you purchased yours I would really appreciate it. I'm new at gardening and this plant seems so easy to grow. Thank you

• live_oak_lady
    19 years ago

We have had Four O'Clocks for years and they can be controlled. When they reseed where you don't want them, just pull them up. My daughter also has had them in her yard for about 10 years and keeps them under control. I am certain if we dug one up that has been there for twenty years it would have a tuber the size of a basketball.
    The hummingbirds and butterflies and night moths love them. And, the fragrance on a summer evening is wonderful. Sometimes they're the only thing blooming in the middle of the summer's heat. Be brave, plant your seeds.

• hannahholly
    19 years ago

I have the multi-colored ones in my yard, in the always damp north side yard. I planted them because they can take the partly shady conditions, and it apparently doesn't bother them too much to be occasionally submerged in water or grow in really damp soil. The hummingbirds love them, and they are a bright spot in an otherwise colorless part of my yard. The only other thing growing on that side are red turk's caps and a few moonflower vines. Nothing else will survive.

• NNewsGrdnGal
    19 years ago

I recently got some 4 o'clock "babies" and planted them on the south side of the house under a kitchen window. The only water they get is from me, rain does not reach them. They grew to 3' in a matter of weeks. They look their best in the evening after the sun goes down and the smell is soooo sweet! The girl that gave them to me said hers have no smell to them. I guess they like a little Fish Emulsion for some foliage feeding every few weeks. By the way, the scent of them over power the fish emulsion the day I fertilize.

• joyce_grow
    17 years ago

I HAVE ROOTED FOUR O CLOCKS FROM CUTTINGS, FOR MY MOTHER...VERY FAST ROOTERS.....I LOVE THEM, I HAVE THEM PLANTED AROUND MY PATIO. THE SCENT IS HEAVENLY, AND IVE NOT HAD TROUBLE ABOUT THEM TAKING OVER JOYCE_GROW

• keiththibodeaux
    17 years ago

I live in Zone 9 South Louisiana where darned near everything has the potential to become invasive and a few things have, but no 4 O'clocks. They have been easy hardy, but easy to manage. And the smell is heavenly. Plant away and take walks through the garden in the early evening where the smell will far outweigh the beauty of the flowers

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Journal

• sharon08
    13 years ago

my four oclocks are not blooming this year. They are in a pot in part shade and bloomed last year. Do they like deeper roots? I am central texas and we have had good rain.

• Susan Levy
    9 years ago

LOL four oclocks are pretty and have never taken over my yard

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    9 years ago

Susan, what zone are you in?

To all readers: please do not be fooled and encouraged into thinking that they are not invasive if you live anywhere in or near the south. They are HIGHLY invasive and spread BOTH by underground tuber and by seeds - and those seeds travel much farther than you would ever expect. Neighbors who live four doors down will not be happy with you.

• Susan Levy
    9 years ago

my seeds are not invasive.They actually died off last year and I will be planting them again this year. I love the seeds being able to pluck them. So if you want them grow them

• Susan Levy
    9 years ago

OH im in zone 6

• zippity1
    9 years ago

i'm thinking they would not be a problem for years, but once they multiply enough, be prepared for a long (years and years long) battle as nothing besides digging up the tubers will get rid of them
    my house was 35 years old when we sold it -- it was three quarters of an acre and there wasn't an area in the entire yard where they had not settled
    between the four o'clocks and the trumpet vine i almost quit gardening altogether
    in our new house i only have to battle bermuda grass......grrr

• Susan Levy
    9 years ago

aww i like em

• zippity1
    9 years ago

they're great in the evenings you could actually hear the hummers at night, smell wonderful

• Portia Holliday
    7 years ago

They are lovely bc the colors stay true, unlike cone flowers that fade. They're perennial so you enjoy your initial investment for years to come. They will travel underground until they find a sunny spot to sprout.

• Gregory Eleser
    7 years ago

No, it is only 8:11 am!

• mediagal_99
    7 years ago

I'm wondering when do they seed.. Thx

Sponsored