Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flat ground vegetable gardening

Posted by pfairley msusa (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 12, 12 at 8:27

My garden (in South Mississippi) will be rowed east/west, covered with commercial black paper for weed control and a soaker hose under the paper for water. MY QUESTION is do I have to mound the dirt in my rows? Why cant I plant on the flat of the ground? Is there a specific reason why I have to mound the ground before planting? Growing tomato, cucumber, pepper (bell and hot), eggplant, squash, okra. Please explain your answers in detail. 25'x 65' size

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flat ground vegetable gardening

Main reasons to go with a raised bed would be drainage, ease of roots to grow (loose soil is easier to penetrate than compacted soil), and the soil heats up faster in spring. You will also have a more concentrated use of your fertilizer and any additives.
I don't paper mulch. I find I like a community type of veggie growing in beds. A mass of planting shades the soil and keeps the weeds pretty well in check. For example I have tomato with carrots under planted, melon running off the edge and running beans trellised on the north end of the bed. In another bed I just planted peppers, squash, okra, carrots, with the beans same beans along the north end. I have 8 acres to grow on and a tractor and disc and I still go this route. Saves on labor, money, time and I honestly believe the plants grow better. Less insect problems too. Again I believe with a mixed planting the insects get confused. Oh and I'm in south Ms. too about 60 north of New Orleans. I have sandy soil.
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here