Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wodka

companion plants for Encore azaleas?

wodka
16 years ago

Maybe I'll have better luck here than the azalea forum.

We are in a new house, thus new yard/landscaping. The back yard is narrow, and faces the golf course. We have a black wrought iron fence, and the far side of the house is the most showy - outdoor fireplace/patio/kitchen, shrubs, trees, etc. The back next to the house has shrubs and a camelia bush. I decided to decorate the blank side against the fence corner with three Encore Autumn Carnation azaleas. All along the fence I have planted Confederate jasmine vines.

To me, the azaleas look kind of stark, just sitting there by themselves in the corner of the yard. When the jasmine takes off, it will help soften the background, and hopefully, the azaleas will grow and not look so uniform as they appear right now. In hindsight, I probably should have planted something taller behind the azaleas, but I planted them so close to the fence, there's not much room now.

Is there anything, preferrably perennial, that I could plant to border the azaleas that would make them more attractive? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks! If this doesn't make sense, I'll try to take a picture of it sometime soon and post it, to help explain.

Comments (9)

• wodka
    Original Author
    16 years ago

louisianagal, thank you so very much! I like all of your suggestions. I've got agapanthus in the front and side beds - they are one of my all time favorites. At our pre-Katrina house, I had some with the most unusual color - and have never seen them since. They were a deep, deep purple and didn't open up as fully as the other agapanthus.

I've had ginger lily before, but my old yard had so much more shade than this one. This one only has afternoon shade. Would that be enough for hostas - I would love to try them? I also thought about sprinking a salvia or two in the mix (a perennial one.)

I sure didn't know canna lilies were so easy to grow. I might have to find a place for them, too.

Won't get any planting done today - dark and rainy, but will check out the nursery later this week. Thanks again for the tips.

• louisianagal
    16 years ago

I'm certainly no hosta expert. I think they need a good amount of shade so your spot might not work, as zone 8b is pretty warm. I think there are some varieties that do take more sun, I think the variegated ones. You might have to do a little research on that.
    Laurie

• wodka
    Original Author
    16 years ago

louisianagal, thanks again. Yesterday afternoon I pulled out my books and tried to make a list of possibilities. I have Norman Winter's and Felder Rushing's books - they both are so good. It does look like I'll have to rule hostas out for my yard, darn it.

It's so funny - my last house had so much shade and I occasionally griped about it. "Be careful what you ask for...?!" Ha.

• natal
    16 years ago

How about Pentas? They grow in sun and partial shade all summer into the fall.

Here is a link that might be useful: pentas

• wodka
    Original Author
    16 years ago

natal, thanks for the pentas suggestion. I read your message after I had already planted something else with the azaleas ("Artist Blue" ageratum) and it looks pretty good - pretty foliage. Where I probably went a little crazy is that I also planted a Cajun Hibiscus ("Bienvenue") behind the azaleas (there was just enough room.) So this little corner of the back yard fence is really going to be wild. That's okay with me. We only live once, right? Pretty pathetic if that's the wildest thing I do these days - ha.

I am headed to the nursery today to see what their pentas look like. I read where they look nice under Vitex/Chaste trees, of which I have 3 (landscaper's recommendation - I've never had Vitex before.) Do you think that it's too early to plant here? I'm guardedly optimistic that our freezing temps are over for the year? I had pentas in my old yard, but can't remember when I planted them.

• louisianagal
    16 years ago

I think your last frost date is March 30, altho I recently read a site that gave it around March 15-30; to be safe to plant in your zone, I'd go with March 30, esp with pentas which like the heat. In zone 9b our safe planting date was St Patrick's Day (mar 17) or St. Joseph's day to be sure (mar 19). Here in Tupelo it's Apr 15. Last year we had a good freeze first week of April but were OK after Apr 15. Every zone is about 2 wks later, I think.
    Laurie

• wodka
    Original Author
    16 years ago

louisianagal, thank you for such good information. I went to the nursery earlier this afternoon, and the only pentas they had were the small sizes. Before I left I read where pentas shouldn't be planted until at least mid-late April, so I will have to practice patience. I didn't buy any.

I did buy some Babylon verbena and mexican heather, just to fill in so many empty spots on my beds in the front yard. This time of year just really fools you. It was 79 and I got a little sunburn on my face and a redneck sock line!

• brhgm
    16 years ago

I have cast irons and bronze cleyera with my Encore Starbright azaleas. Some of my indicas have holly ferns planted in front of them. Dwarf nandinas would work well. I have lots of cannas, but since they need a lot of water I have them in a tropical garden near my pond. Knockout roses would look splendid in that setting. Double Pink Knockout is really nice. For a bit more contrast, try Rainbow Knockout and Blushing Pink Knockout. Yes, they can take partial shade and bloom well. I have several under oak trees.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!