Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brhgm

Earth Day 2008 Seed & Plant Swap

brhgm
16 years ago

The annual Earth Day Seed and Plant swap in Baton Rouge will be held from 9-12 at the BREC Botanical Garden in Independence Park on Saturday April 19, 2008. It's a great way to meet fellow gardeners and to swap plants. I usually bring native Giganticerula Iris (blue giant), antique roses, bananas and old variety cannas.

Comments (9)

• don_licuala
    16 years ago

Thanks for the update

• amelia_pepper_lady
    16 years ago

I'm in the BR area and never heard of the plant swap. Is is always the same day as Hilltop's spring sale? Is that a good idea?

• brhgm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No. It's a local Earth Day event. It was organized by members of the local plant societies and volunteers at the BREC Botantical garden.

• sun_kkd
    16 years ago

Is there any plant swap in Alexandria Area.

• deep_south_gardener
    16 years ago

What would the directions be from the NO area?
    I'd love to go.

Brenda

• brhgm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Depends. If you are coming from I-10: Take I-10 West to Baton Rouge and exit on to Siegen Ln. Turn Right and take Siegen to Airline Hwy. Turn Left onto Airline Hwy and turn left onto Goodwood. Take a right onto East Airport and then take a left onto Independence Blvd. The Garden is on the left across from the DMV.
    If you are coming from I-12: Take I-12 to Baton Rouge and get off on Airline Hwy North. Turn Right onto Airline. Take Airline and turn left onto Goodwood Blvd. Take Goodwood to East Airport. Turn right onto East Airport. Take next Left onto Independence Blvd. The Garden is on the left across from the DMV.

If you get lost, Goodwood is by the Circle K and Woman's Hospital. The Public Library is on Goodwood behind the BREC Garden, Usually there are Earth Day Seed and Plant Exchange signs on the fence at the corner of Goodwood and East Airport during Earth Day Weekend. For more info follow this link http://www.earthdaybr.org/

• deep_south_gardener
    16 years ago

Thanks for the directions. I'm looking
    forward to the swap. Should I bring
    a wagon for transporting the seedlings
    to swap? How big of some pots should
    I have to swap?
    Thanks again for your help.

Brenda

• brhgm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Some people like myself bring potted plants. Others bring bags of seeds or cuttings in a bucket. I have a truck, so I bring a truck load of stuff. Since I'm working that day, I will only be there for an hour at 9 AM. According to the rules, all items should be clearly labeled. I have lots of extra pots and lots of irises and cannas, I start potting up a few weeks in advance. Last year, I got some neat lillies, ferns a fig tree. Two years ago, I got an Apple Blossom Camellia and some walking irises.

• deep_south_gardener
    16 years ago

Thanks,
    I have a few plants potted up now. I'll bring
    what I can handle in a wagon. I'm looking
    forward to the event.

Sponsored