Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaco_gw

Fire Any HELP

jaco
15 years ago

I have a several raised beds for my garden, last year was ok. This year should be better. The problem I have this year, is that in one of my 4x8 beds I have a fire ant bed. How can I get rid of them without using the poison, pesticides that might go into my garden plants. Any advise will be much appreciated. My hubby tried clorox bleach already and that did not work. Thanks.

Comments (4)

• sandcircles
    15 years ago

Baking Soda will move them, it won't kill them but it will move them, and it's cheap enough to used all over your beds, maybe you can get them moved to a place that you can use pesticides? I've never found a non-pesticide way to kill the buggers and I've tried alot of different things, even setting fire to the dang things doesn't completely get rid of them. *Sigh* can you tell I hate 'em?

• citysoil
    15 years ago

Just disturb the nest and they will move

• plan9fromposhmadison
    15 years ago

My favorite expedient is hot water from the tap (not boiling water). The hot water dissolves and collapses the matrix of tunnels the evil ants have constructed. A good time to do this is late on a winter afternoon, before an overnight cold snap. The ants that are not killed by the hot water are then faced with either remaining in the soggy, corpse-filled tunnels, or venturing out into the cold.

A few gallons will decimate even a large colony. I suspect it penetrates really deep within their 'bunkers'. Won't kill every one, but the colony will be severely weakened, if only by being exposed to the other dead ants (they will carry the dead to the surface.) This will, of course, sterilize the soil in that spot, and kill any plant life. But at least you aren't exposing yourself and your garden to toxins. My lawn quickly recovers in the spots where I do this.

A tea kettle might be the ticket for precise application in tight spots. But please be careful! No boiling water!

So when will we be able to mail-order packages of those dear little wasps that lay eggs in the Fire Ants, and make their heads fall off?

• plantloverla
    15 years ago

Since I am in CONSTANT WAR WITH FIRE ANTS, I can suggest that you find orange/citrus oil. I mix it (2 oz. with 1 gallon of water) and I drench the mound..which I often stir up because i enjoy aggravating the ants!!!! The oil dissolves their exoskeletons, kills the hatching ants, and saturates the ground..which discourages reinfestation. It is harmful on contact to beneficial bugs, worms...so be careful and selective. It works....and I use it in my veg garden selectively.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor