Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looking for local source of native azaleas

Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 1, 12 at 12:18

Hi,
Does anyone know of any sources for native azaleas (seeds or plants) in the Mississippi or Louisiana area? I have a hard time finding Native American species at any local nurseries. I would prefer to buy plants from a nursery to avoid paying shipping charges.
Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looking for local source of native azaleas

Where are you in Ms.? I just saw some at a local nursery in Picayune.

o

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 1, 12 at 16:13

I am in Oktibbeha Co. up near MSU. Not very close to Picayune. My hometown is Baton Rouge though, so maybe I can swing by a nursery this spring while traveling down to Louisiana. Thanks for the heads up.

Any other info from LA\MS gardeners would be much appreciated, too.

o

I think your best bet would be to contact your counties extenision service or MSU itself. Both should have recommendations on where to obtain native species. MSU proably has seasonal plants sales itself. Hope this helps.

o

I just bought a yellow one at Cleggs Nursery. They also had pink.

o

Did you ever find what you were looking for? I found an online source that has reasonable prices. Shadygardensnursery.com

o

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 0:04

Thanks to all who have posted. I did find 2 online sources in the SE US. Perhaps Cleggs will still have some when I visit BRLA next. Would love to find some seed sources for native azaleas, but haven't had luck with that yet. The Azalea Society mostly has non-natives or hybrids....

o

Dodd & Dodd developed the Confederate Series of native azaleas years ago. The nursery where I worked carried them. Gorgeous. Contact them to see where they are carried these days. http://www.doddnatives.com/dndnursery.htm

o

Hilltop Arboretum often carries native azaleas at their plant sales, too. http://appl015.lsu.edu/hilltop/hilltop.nsf/$Content/Programs?OpenDocument

o

Great information, guys! Now that we're back from Oregon, this is just what I needed, to get started. I like the colors of our natives much better than those of the Indicas.

By the way... Is it really wise to mass Azaleas? I want to add masses of them against the inner perimeter fence, but don't want to create some sort of dangerous monocrop disease-risk situation.

Are our natives more prone to disease?

o

Don't know if you want to make the drive, but there are a TON of very large commercial and retail nurseries in the Forest Hill area, south of Alexandria, Louisiana on Hwy. 165. I know a number of them stock a variety of azaleas in various sizes. Don't know about availability of seeds.

See the gardenguides page for an extensive list and links to the web site for many of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Forest Hill, Louisiana Nurseries & Garden Centers

o

Azalea seed? I've always wondered about that - with all those flowers, where are the seeds? But my mom just propagated them by laying a branch, still connected to the bush, in loose dirt and putting a rock on top of it. Once it grows good roots, cut it off, and there you go - a free azalea. And I see them planted in huge clusters everywhere down here in southern MS; never noticed signs of disease on the natives. Some of them are ten feet tall, at least, in an enormous mass. I'd think you'd be safe planting them that way as long as you give them lots of room. Of course, this late, you've already got them planted, I'm guessing. :)

o

Rarefind nursery in New Jersey has mostly Rhod and Azaleas. Check out online, Rarefind nurseries.

o

Sorry, you said local.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here