Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowersandthings

What fragrant plant/flower is most evocative to you of Louisiana?

flowersandthings
18 years ago

What fragrant plant/flower is most evocative to you of Louisiana?

Comments (13)

• mrskjun
    18 years ago

For me it has to be jasmine. When it is in full bloom the rich smell wafts through the entire neighborhood. Sometimes I sit on my porch and must look like that guy in the Febreeze commercial.

Betty

• harper
    18 years ago

Mine would be gardenias. They're the last pleasant reminder of spring before our brutal summers set in. I keep a Votivo gardenia scented candle in the house during the summer for that reason.

Harper

• down_south_LA
    18 years ago

Gardenias, when they are in bloom, it is heavenly

• bigoledude
    18 years ago

Sweet Olive! About 15 years ago I was standing on the outdoor bacony of an uptown 4-plex and I caught the fragrance of sweet olive but, could not see the shrub from which the fragrace was coming. So, I asked the lady who was showing her house to us, where the Sweet Olive bush was . She pointed to a tree directly in front of me and explained that her great-grandmother had planted it and it was now nearly 80 years old and 30 feet tall! How delightful was that old Sweet Olive and the balcony setting it helped create.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    18 years ago

I would have to say a tie between night blooming jasmine, gardenia, and magnolia flowers
    ~SJN

• mrskjun
    18 years ago

I forgot about gardenias, that has to be as high on my list as jasmine. I planted one right outside my backdoor and under my kitchen window. Right now it is covered with buds.

Betty

• brenda_near_eno
    18 years ago

It was traditional in creole homes to plant white butterfly ginger outside windows and doors on the prevailing wind-side (usually SW) of the house. Then open the windows and let the fragrant breeze in. I am so thankful that it will grow here in my NC garden, as it did in my mother's New Orleans and Ocean Springs gardens.

• muddy_hands
    18 years ago

First thing that came to mind was gardenia.

• sampizz
    17 years ago

Without question, it's the sweet, lemony, fresh and spicy scent of the Magnolia.

• piglet6721
    17 years ago

Hey guys! New to the forum. But I'd have to say a tie between gardenia, star jasmine, and the sweet magnolia. I have all three and love them all! The jasmine is the star of my yard right now!

• greenelf06
    17 years ago

Hey, I'm not new. I'm usually in and out of here and hanging out mostly in the rose forum when I do. We just moved back to Louisiana after living in Alabama for three years. I agree Sweet Olive is a favorite since I was a young girl. And of course Magnolia. Ah, its good to be back home!

• keiththibodeaux
    17 years ago

Finally a topic dear to my heart. In the last year I discovered smell. Yes Jasmine fills the garden in the evening. But then there are 4 O'clocks. And then try Angel's Trumpets. Or Acidanthera. Or Moon Flower. If you have not tried some scent gardening, you have not yet gardened. Antique roses. For most it is in the late afternoon/early evening that you have to walk the gardens to appreciate, but you have not gardened until you get past the visual and into the scent. I promise it will add an entirely new dimension to your gardening. Enjoy.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Journal

• cynni_g
    17 years ago

For me it is the Sweet Olive. I believe Heaven will smell just like it.

Cynni_G

Sponsored