Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lowering Soil pH- in Louisiana- Organically

Posted by KimbaTWL Zone 9, Lousiana (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 13:33

I live in Louisiana. My soil is very alkaline (high pH) and and I want to make it more acidic (lower pH). It also is very low on Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium. How do I fix these two problems?

My soil is very compact clay. I think roots also have a hard to growing.

I have read to add compost. and the soil test paper said add iron sulfate. I want to do it organically and plan on planting native plants. I feel like native plants don't even do when in my soil and it needs to be altered!!

I want to buy stuff, but I don't know what to buy. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lowering Soil pH- in Louisiana- Organically

• Posted by wisner 9 Louisiana (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 21:16

Did you take a soil sample to LSU Ag Center? I'm not an expert, but I haven't heard on La soils being alkaline. Usually the soil is more acid or neutral. If you sent the sample to LSU they give you the recommendations to make your soil suitable for what you are growing. Adding compost will help your clay soil. If you can find some Cotton Bur compost it works real well.

o

Concur with Wisner, our LA soil is more often on the acidic side.

Adding leaves would help to eventually break down the clay. Leaves also tend to make the soil more acidic.

I use bagged leaves collected in the Fall as a mulch. They are great for weed control and also help to build up the soil organics. I till them in after they decompose. I usually will add lime every 2 or 3 years to help keep the counter the acidity of the leaves.

o

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 15:25

I agree, the soils in Louisiana are generally acidic. Perhaps something caused the soils to be abnormally alkaline. Wood ash will do this.

Adding pine straw to the soil does a great job of 1. adding organic matter; and 2. lowering pH of the soil. And yes, you can lower your soil pH with iron sulfate. It lowers pH quicker than other methods, but I have not heard of an organic source of iron sulfate.

o

Coffee grounds are acidic and will quickly turn an alkaline soil around. They are also fantastic for helping break up clay soil. Our local PJs Coffee would give me a 5-gallon bucket of coffee grounds a day, if I could use that much!

You could have a very large compost heap, very quickly, by using coffee-shop grounds and other organic material. By far the best compost I ever had was mostly horse-stable gleanings and coffee grounds.

o

ditto on the grounds.
i can get like 20lb a week from Starbucks here in Kenner
its too cold to compost, so i cant use all i have now

suggested reading...

diatomaceous earth is cheap, and helps keeps bugs down. also adds minerals

mycorrhizal fungi seems to have helped me condition my soil,
Rock dust , could help as well

most of those dont affect the PH a lot, but some dust might at higher levels

This post was edited by greenman62 on Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 11:41

o

There are many soils in LA that are above pH 7, mostly along the Mississippi river and down into Acadiana. Also along the Red River Valley, see the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: bonap.org

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here