Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Want to try bananas this year.

Posted by bo_doc 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 17, 10 at 13:37

My wife and I are wanting to set out a couple of banana trees this year. My questions are: Which edible varieties would be best suited for our region? When should they be planted in terms of month or temperature? We have some grass clippings we stockpile, can we use these to cover the roots in the winter, or will we need to dig them up each fall? We are in north MS on the line of zone 7 and 8.

Thanks for any input.
Walley

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Want to try bananas this year.

I'm not sure there are any varieties that might produce edible types. Banana trees grow great and a couple years I got flowers and got to see how bananas developed but they never got more than an inch or so.

o

There's a Indian variety of banana which will produce bananas here (I'm in Baton Rouge), Raja Puri banana. I had to order mine from a Florida nursery. Our 17-18 degree freeze this winter laid them low, but a few pups are coming back. Do a Goggle search on Raja Puri banana.

o

Hi Joeray.. Which Florida nursery did you use? I am (Indian by birth) in the New Orleans area and interested in growing some bananas.

o

I found the Florida firm on Ebay I believe, here's the name on the receipt: bhillyard1@comcast.net. I've seen them advertised at Clegg's nursery here in Baton Rouge recently. You can also check on E-bay; I'm sure that you will find several people selling them.

o

If there is a place that can tell you of a banana that will grow where you are it is this place:

Here is a link that might be useful: Going Bananas in Homestead, FL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here