Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cascading/Trailing Plant ideas

Posted by DAVEandLAURA 8b-S. Louisiana (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 15, 05 at 16:45

Tried this basic question on another forum and will try to make it a bit more focused here and see if y'all have any ideas to throw at me.

I'm looking for a cascading/trailing plant that will work in a New Orleans courtyard setting. The courtyard has brick planters and I'd like something that will grow down out of them in a few places. Ideally I'd like some interesting leaves (variegated or something besides "plain" green). Colorful flowers are an option also, but too many flowers and the bees get too happy!

Django responded to my other post and suggested trailing lantana. Right now there is some asparagus fern, but I'm going to pull it out because it just gets to looking too messy, in my opinion.

Thanks for any ideas!

Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cascading/Trailing Plant ideas

What about variegated english ivy. I used that in a Clay urn and it is really striking.

Another option would be sweet potato vine. If you want something with flowers ~ million bells are really pretty.

o

Hey Dave and Laura,
I'm on the westbank, and just planted some trailing
vinca. Vinca "illuminatin". The leaves are small yellow,
edged in dark green. My first time planting it. I purchased
it at Rose Garden Center on the Westbank Expressway
in Marrero. I'm sure they probably have it somewhere on
the eastbank as well. Good luck.

Brenda
Harvey

o

Assuming that you have shade in the courtyard and not sun, I'd suggest dead nettle. It spreads very rapidly, as I found out when I planted it in a container last year. Within just a couple of months, it was trailing over the edge of the barrel and down to the ground. My variety had small pretty purple blooms on it. The leaves were pale green with some white around the edges...a very soft look.

o

Oh,I live in Paulina and it is worth the trip to the Rose garden Center in Harvey I make my trip there every year.There are always new plants to be seen and old reliables too.Its still to cold for my anual trip but I'll be making it soon.Heres an idea try planting some oregano for a trailer and you can use it for cooking also,It trails nicely in my barrel planter.

o

i suggest trailing homestead verbena. i bought a small clump last summer and it mulitplied quickly and is in bloom right now and to hear tell it should bloom all summer. it has a nice cascading affect and the foliage is also tinged with purple around the edges

o

Thanks everybody!

In one spot I think I may go with the Marguerite sweet potato vine cascading down over a Persian Shield growing up.

There are three or four other areas that I have to decide on, too. Decision decisions . . .

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here