Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardnpondr

need help on how to get rid of wasps!!! please

gardnpondr
17 years ago

Every day that we have a warm spell the wasps come out like you would not believe! They are swarming like honey bees out there. WHAT can I do to get rid of these things? I can't even sit on my porch because they are sooooooooooo bad! I'm allergic to them and I really need to get rid of them somehow!!! :) I can't stand out there with a can of bug spray because there's soooooooooo many of them! They are going up in the roof of the porch in all the little cracks on the siding up there and making their nest. What can I do to get rid of them?????

Comments (6)

• karpes2
    17 years ago

When the temperature is under 45 degrees insects have trouble flying and look for warm spots, As the temperature rises in the morning they begin to fly and thatÂs what you are seeing, They normally do not attack at this time of the year because they do not have a nest to protect, Rather than spraying them on the fly, you should watch where they congregate when the temperature falls to below 45 degrees. When they gather in the voids in the roof or warm spots around walls is when you need to spray.
    Karl

• gardnpondr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you!!!!

• bluebetty
    17 years ago

Jusy saw something in a magazine today....Actually it was a catalog called "Alston" . it was a wasp[ catcher. It kinda looked like a hummingbird feeder....with the same basic idea. you fill it with sugar water and it attracts (and traps)the wasps....they check in but they don't check out. They were attractive and you could even hang them.

• gardnpondr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Bluebetty!You could probably do the same with a plastic coke bottle cut. You can cut the top off about 2-3" down and invert it into the bottom so it has a throat so to speak. And then just staple with a staple gun to hold in place and add some sugar water! Will try that!

• Jane Sickinger
    7 years ago

I know this thread is old but maybe this will benefit some people who have wasp problems. I discovered this wasp cure quite by accident. My brother had a dead animal in the walls of his house so we were trying to find something that would kill the smell, turns out chlorine and ammonia mixed will attack and kill the viruses that eat dead animals which causes the smell. I was experimenting with the mix and left a glass sitting on my back deck. Now I live in the country, have 3 acres and the wasps have historically been horrible at my house, when I get out of the car and come in side you would think I was dancing from dodging the wasps. I tried all the remedies, traps, sprays etc... but these are only good to kill them not keep them away. I noticed the next day after leaving this chlorine / Ammonia mix on my deck that there were considerably fewer wasps, which was odd. This was 2 weeks ago, I have kept a glass on my back deck for the past 2 weeks and now I might see an occasional one every now and then but it's usually flying away not at me. So if you want to keep wasps away, ie. not have to bother killing them, this stuff works big time. Get some chlorine tablets, you can buy them in jugs in most stores that sell pool supplies, get a bottle of regular household ammonia. Get a glass or I use a canning jar, put in 8 ounces of water and about 3 to 4 tablespoons of ammonia, now drop the chlorine tablet in and stir a couple rounds then leave it sit. (DO NOT DO THIS INDOORS) or if you do stay out for a couple hours. The gas released from the chemical reaction between the chlorine and ammonia is strong and wards off wasps and flies and mosquitos so far. This initial mix will last about 3 days, just stir it a couple times each day, then on the 4th day pour in another tablespoon or 2 of ammonia and stir again, repeat this for days 5, 6 and 7 then it's time to start a new batch. This has solved my wasp problem and I'm sure it will for you as well. Hope this helps

Sponsored