Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lotusgypsy

Help on Zones

lotusgypsy
17 years ago

Hello,

New here and I'm having trouble finding my exact zones for planting, ect. I'm not very good at finding things on the internet.

I live just a few minutes outside of

New Orleans, LA. My family also has land in Hancock County , MS...about 20 miles north of the beach(Waveland, MS).

Would anyone be able to tell me what my zones are, for La. and Ms.?

Thanks

Comments (5)

• gulfportgardener
    17 years ago

Hi, I am in Gulfport. I have seen this zone listed as 8, 8b, and 9, depending on where you look. I finally decided on Zone 9 simply because that seemed to be the most prevalant. I grew up in Zone 8 and I know the climate is slightly different from here. So Zone 8b or Zone 9, take your pick.

• tamivileine
    17 years ago

this area is NOT a Zone 9 except for microclimatic effects. For instance, planting next to your house.

at best, Z8b

really it's more Z8. We freeze too much for Z9. Z9 is for instance Houston and south, Galveston. etc

• lotusgypsy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you both! At least now I have an idea on what the land (zone) in MS. would be. I do know the mojority of the land is heavily wooded, with the exception of the road and at least a half of acre that has some good sun. I believe we have a bayou and creeks running through somewhere, but I haven't walked that far yet. The reason I mention that is maybe the soil would be better near the water? Not sure.
    Thanks again...going to look around this site more.

• danbo
    17 years ago

It's my understanding that the zones were recently changed. Here in Diamondhead we were a zone 8. Now we've been moved to 8/9.

I hear this area was a 9 but moved to an 8 when we went through a series of cold winters. As winters are milder recently we've been moved back.

Some of the old gardeners here in Hancock County, tell me they use I-10 as the rough dividing line between the zones. (I'm about a half mile north of it.)

I wouldn't take the 8/9 zones too seriously. Our 8/9's are very different from many, as on the west coast. Though we have few days of cold. We can have killing cold. And our summers are more humid. Many plants get into trouble in summer. Your proximity to the bay and sound also plays into it.

I'd talk to others as to what works. Rather than rely on the zones.

• natal
    17 years ago

I'm in Baton Rouge and we're along the same parallel. This is considered 8b. With the right microclimate it's definitely a 9. I shared Mexican Flame vine with a neighbor down the street last fall. Mine died to the ground with one of our hard freezes last December. Hers kept on blooming and stayed green.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA plant hardiness zone map

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996