Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dumbunusedid

fence extension

dumbunusedid
17 years ago

We have your standard 6 foot wooden fence surrounding our backyard. The folks behind us put their kids' trampoline right up next to the fence so we are constantly seeing two little heads popping up over the fence. The kids are very friendly and always take the opportunity to say hello. The thing is, when we are in the backyard, we are not really interested in seeing or talking to the little kids.

We are thinking of putting SOMEthing up to extend the back fence up another 2-3 feet. Has anyone else done or seen such a thing? The biggest thing is I do not want it to look really tacky. Any ideas would be MUCh appreciated.

Terri

Comments (8)

• jnezz
    17 years ago

Have you thought about planting privacy trees?

Here is a link that might be useful: www.fast-growing-trees.com

• davidandkasie
    17 years ago

unless you remove the entire fence and then rebuild it as a 8-9 ft fence, then some type of fast growing hedge/tree is your best bet. any extension to teh existing fence would look tacky, and the work required to make it sturdy would almost be as much as if you replaced the whole thing.

• snedman
    17 years ago

Actually there IS a different solution. We just did it for our neighborhood that is adjacent to our self storage site.

We put it up so that they wouldn't see the gravel trucks and other things parked on our side of the fence that may be "tacky" for them to see all the time.

It is hard for me to explain, so I will take some pictures and try to post them within the next two days.

It is actually quite nice IMHO.

Best Regards,

Snedman

• snedman
    17 years ago

Here are the links to the fence extensions. I snapped only a few. By the time I got over to the neighbors side it was fairly dark out. If you have any questions please let me know.

This was just finished a week ago. On the neighbors side they are going to pressure was their fence, or one of them said they are going to overlay new board over the old board, and then stain it use Behr stain and preserver. Another said they will pressure was theirs and put linseed oil on it...

Best regards, Snedman

{{gwi:1014095}}

{{gwi:1014098}}

{{gwi:1014101}}

{{gwi:1014104}}

{{gwi:1014107}}

{{gwi:1014110}}

{{gwi:1014123}}

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

Another possibility would be to put a trellis or two--or more--and plant fast-growing vines on them. I have two kinds of Thunbergia and an orange-flowered Senecio that screen out the problems with the fences quite nicely. The Thunbergias are deciduous, so maybe not as useful. Also have an evergreen vine that just had its name changed, and I can't remember either name--big help!--but the Senecio is evergreen and even bloomed some in the winter. I didn't site it well--too much shade.

• natal
    17 years ago

Senecio isn't evergreen in my yard. One hard freeze and that's it until the next year. It does come back in the spring.

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

Guess it's evergreen in my yard 'cause it's not in the right place! Protected from the morning sun, which is most damaging to frosted plants. But I do want to either move it or take a cutting so I can plant one where it gets more sun. Maybe I'll leave the main plant there so it can stay green. The evergreen one I couldn't remember is Clytostoma--or was I should say. Prebably available under that name. Big lavendar flowers for a month or two in spring. Took a few years to do anything, but now it's really lush and large. Y'know what they say about vines--first they sleep, then they creep, then they leap!

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

I know there are privacy fence extensions, because I was just looking them up on the Net. Done well, they look nice. I have a similar--even worse--problem. I have lowlifes who just moved in next door. The first thing they did, before they even unpacked, was register a complaint against me. And now, every time I'm in my back yard, they run out and sit on their back step drinking and smoking, watching me and making fun of me. My garden used to be my sanctuary. Now I'm a monkey in a zoo.

Do a search on "privacy fence extension". There's a lot out there. I'm thinking that this is what I'll do. Until I can figure that out, I'm thinking a line of sunflowers against that fence. Tall ones. They complain about having to look at me and my back yard, they don't have to.

My only concern is city codes about this.

Sponsored