Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louisianagal

norfolk island pine

louisianagal
20 years ago

I have a norfolk island pine in a container; it is about 3 ft tall. Anyone grow one outside in the garden? What conditions does it like? Shade I guess. Will it do ok in the heat/humidity once summer comes? What is the best thing to do with it?

Comments (11)

• WannaBGardener
    20 years ago

I had mine in a pot for three years, and this past fall I put it in the ground. Its about five feet tall. We planted it in a filtered morning sun, afternoon shade spot, at the gardens edge. At the moment it is serving for our Easter Egg tree. Looks "cool" to the granddaughters. Other then that the only thing we do for it, is throw a sheet over it if the temp drops into the teens. We are near Foley Al.

• greenelbows
    20 years ago

When mine got too tall for the house I planted it out in a shady and protected location. It did fine all summer and fall. Didn't come back in the spring. Wish I'd donated it to a school or hospital or something.

• drasaid
    20 years ago

Really. Some are nearly twenty feet high. If you come here, keep an eye open and you'll see them.

• monabird
    20 years ago

I live on the Gulf Coast. My Norfolk Pine is about 8 ft tall. I would like to plant it, problem is I do not have a shady area. Will it take afternoon sun if well watered? Can it take an area that may not drain rapidly?

• mrtexas
    20 years ago

This tree won't take a freeze(z10a). South of Tampa, Florida they do OK.

Here is a link that might be useful: MrTexas Citrus & Grafting

• kumquat12
    19 years ago

They are very brittle. Small branches break off in a rainstorm. In a hurricane, the tree easily breaks off and may harm your house, so do not plant near house or power lines.

• treefrog_fl
    19 years ago

Around here after hurricane frances, all the tall norfolk pines (I'm talkin 50') are still standing. Minus all their lower limbs. Just trunks with a small pine tree look at the top where the newer growth is still flexible. The problem in my yard is that all the fallen branches wreaked havoc with all the plants in the yard where they fell.
    Another complaint I have with them is when the cones open up they drop zillions of seeds with hard sharp points that scatter with the wind...everywhere. And the cones themselves are sharp and dangerous.
    So you all should be thankful they don't take kindly to hard freezes. Enjoy them while they're young and pretty, and if they get taller than the house, get rid of them.

• live_oak_lady
    19 years ago

Mine is doing good in a semi-shaded, protected location. It gets filtered morning sun but no scorching sun. I covered it in winter and it survived a few light freezes, but it is between two houses so that protects it. They definitely cannot take Louisiana's scorching sun--a young neighbor planted 3 on her curb in May and they are toast. I felt so sorry for them frying out there.

• klriess
    18 years ago

I got my Norfolk Pine at Christmas. It was doing great and then started to have have brown tips and become brittle. I transplanted it into a little bit larger container. There are 3 plants (not separated from purchase) and I moved it to the patio. It's looking better but still not like when I bought it? Help!!!

• keiththibodeaux
    17 years ago

I found one that had been thrown out into a trash pile at around 6 feet tall. It was lying horizontally and had survived last winter and god knows how long just like that. I planted it out under some Live Oaks where it will receive only filtered light. Here is Zone 9 it will survive most winters, but if we get a bad one, say mid 20s it will be gone. That is the reality of things. Still I was glad to give it a few more years and I will enjoy its beauty while it lasts.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Jounal

• kalanchoe_tomentosa
    16 years ago

klreiss,
    The same thing happened to me. However, the one in the middle stayed green. I just cut halfway down the trunks of the brown ones and watered the plant three times a day (morning, afternoon, evening). Of course, it's a lot hotter here. About a year later, it is finally starting to get greener and has new growth on it. I think the key is the water it often and correctly--mine started to get brown because I wasn't watering it enough. However, I think if you cut it like I did, the ones you cut won't grow back (not sure). I don't know if this helps or not, but you just need a lot of patience, and after a while it will come back to its full grandeur.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!