Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muddy_hands

Poinciana

muddy_hands
18 years ago

I grew poinciana in South,TX and fell in love with it. I know I'm probably unlikely to find it at a garden center in the Slidell area, but would anyone know of an internet website I can buy them at? I've googled myself to death and cannot find a nursery.

Comments (10)

• helena_z8_ms
    18 years ago

They might be available from http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net
    I've bought from them efore and the price is not too high.

Helena

• muddy_hands
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Helena, I'll try them.

• danbo
    18 years ago

I assume you mean the Royal Poinciana which I believe we get a bit too cold for. Would love to have a full grown on in my yard.

However, a few years ago the Home Depot in Gulfport had a dwarf Poinciana, Pride of Barbados. My neighbor planted one in her garden. Though it would die back to the ground every winter. It would come back in spring. And by late summer blooming.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• helena_z8_ms
    18 years ago

I've seen the Royal Poinciana growing into huge trees in Puerto Rico. I have 3 Poinciana pulcherrima plants that go dormant after the frost gets them and come back in spring. Last fall I got one from Lowe's that has yellow flowers P. mexicana that wasn't affected by the cold, didn't die back but bloomed even in very cool weather.

You can find the Poinciana seeds in the Supplement 2006-A Seedlist O-Z. They have very pretty flowers and the hummers like them too.

• muddy_hands
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The Pride of Barbados or dwarf poinciana is the one I am interested in. Who'd of thought Lowe's or Home Depot! I guess I'll need to scout them out this spring/summer. I did order some seeds. Thanks! If anyone sees any available at any stores, drop me a line if you can! I also went to Half Moon in Abita Springs and she will try to order it along with the firecracker plant I want. We shall see.

• danbo
    18 years ago

I checked on line and the Pride of Barbados also goes by the name of Peacock Flower.

I did find a source for seeds at Seeds & More.

http://www.seedsandmore-store.com/catalog.php/seedsandmore/pd11479

I've never used this source. So I can't comment on them.

Places like Lowes and Home Depot are a hit and miss. But sometimes have gems. And sometimes labled as something else.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pride of Barbados

• danbo
    18 years ago

By firecracker plant did you mean Russelia equisetiformis? Like an overgrown asparagus fern with red flowers.

I just bought another at a nursery over by Pensacola. (So many of our nurseries haven't returned yet. And I am in the Pensacola area often.)

Firecracker plant is so easy to root. But I've hed trouble consistantly getting them through the winter outside. Plus I believe one was a Katrina victim.

There's an interesting nursery I believe called the Garden Gate in Gulf Breeze, Fl. They usually have firecracker plants and all kinds of interesting plants as coontie, crinums etc. Found this interesting ornemental onion there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Firecracker plant.

• gw:jenn-gardener
    18 years ago

We have seeds from the Royal Poinciana--flamboyant tree. Have not tried starting them as of yet. Read it is very tropical and may take 10 years for the tree to bloom grown from seed. In our area it would have to be grown in a pot like a tropcial hibiscus. Has anyone grown purple mountain laurel. Still need to start those seeds as well. Read both of the trees above are poison.

• helena_z8_ms
    18 years ago

Isn't it funny or more likely confusing when different plants are given the same common name... Manettia cordifolia and Manettia inflata are also known as Firecracker vines.

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

I think various cupheas are sometimes called firecracker plant. The gardening columnist in our local paper wrote about common names today, specifically 'mock orange', which was the name someone had given to a plant a reader was asking about which turned out to be Pittosporum tobira but is more commonly applied to Philadelphus var., and chinese fringe, which another reader said bloomed pink instead of white as had been written about earlier. That reader had Loropetalum, but the segment questioned was about Chionanthus. Really a good idea to find out the botanical name of something you want for yourself! No telling what you'll get with a common name. One of the things that convinced me was reading that there are more than a thousand different plants called 'Star of Bethlehem' somewhere!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH