Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hosta supplier

Posted by sweetpea_2006 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 25, 06 at 7:04

Hi, I live in northeast Louisiana, 60 miles from Monroe. I am searching for a hosta grower that is located in the vacinity of Monroe. Does anyone know the name and location of that nursery? OR could someone suggest a supplier for hosta? Thanks, Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hosta supplier

Since no one has answered from North Louisiana, I'll tell you what I know. I grow a few hostas in clay pots. They do not do well in the ground where I am (I know you are colder). The extra chill from being above ground seems to help. I have had success with the Patriot hosta, they have returned in their pots for several years. They also need to be dry in the winter. The Patriot offspring and ancestors are also good. I ordered some but don't recall the names. I think one of the names was Pilgrim. I researched before selecting hosta and then mailordered from reputable companies. I know the blue are the least heat friendly. There are some websites that list good hostas for Texas, which might work for you. I think Guacamole is a good one. Also, try the hosta forum here. Finally, Plant Delights is an online source for hostas. You might be able to find some varieties cheaper, but it is a good source with a lot of varieties. I ordered a few hostas from Paradise Garden, which is affiliated with Oakes Daylilies, another very good company, and I was very satisfied with the condition of the plants.

o
RE: hosta supplier

One of the good things about Plant Delights is they do a lot of research about hardiness and tell you which of their hostas will do well this far south. Much appreciated information.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here