Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant to hide the Electrical box and Meter

Posted by newoldhouser 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 08 at 8:39

Hi. We are building in the country and went with underground electricity. As a result we have a big (about the size of an air conditioner) green box with a meter on top. It is a good distance from the house but I would still like to hide it in some way. I do not like those ornamental grasses. And I prefer flowering plants. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant to hide the Electrical box and Meter

whatever you plant there, keep in mind that the POCO can and will destroy it when they need access to the transformer in the box if it is in their way at all.

o

well, let's see, 2 or 3 forsythia. they get pretty big and are so pretty in spring and green in summer but they will be bare in winter. camellias stay green all year and flower in fall/winter/spring depending on variety. you could find one that would fit your need in that spot. what about a little gem magnolia, also an evergreen? any of these you could place a little away from the box in between the box and your place, and then the power co would have access if needed.

o

OLEANDER - perfect size, perfect for hot dry neglected areas way out by those boxes. Water deeply once or twice a week for the first 3 months if there is no rain, and you're pretty much set.

o

Thanks Everyone! What is so sad, is now I have to go look up your suggestions to see what they look like. I know nothing about plants and gardening, but I am trying to learn.
Thanks Again.

o

We just moved into a new home and have one of those ugly green boxes on the side yard....we went with oleander - they grow quickly, are evergreen, and have the most beautiful blossoms - ours were just planted in November and already have blooms. Plus, love the fact, that they're pretty maintenance-free.

o

One caveat with oleander, they are extremely poisonous, as are a lot of plants. Just keep that in mind if you have kids or dogs.

o

• Posted by grandad 9a Louisiana/Sunt28 (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 28, 08 at 14:36

I planted a Satsuma tree in front of the one in my yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here