Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Sorrel in the veggie garden in New Orleans

Posted by pointy 70119 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 28, 09 at 10:31

Hi all

I have lived in New Orleans for 2 years and just bought a house last summer and just started my first veggie garden here (I've veg gardened many other places but not here, and I've never lived this far south before). I am getting educated on all the pests that attack Louisiana veg gardens, etc. So far everything is going pretty well.

One question: I am trying to grow Sorrel, which I love but have a hard time finding in the markets here. I direct seeded it just like I do lettuce: made a little trench and sprinkled seed in. I usually let my lettuce come up like this and thin it once the seedlings get established. This is working well for my arugula.

The sorrel came up right away but it's growing really slowly. I read everywhere that it's so hearty and weedlike. Some of the tiny seedlings were getting munched and I put diatomaceaous earth on them -- but still they are very tiny. Did I seed them too thickly? Should I thin right away?

I know there are a lot of kinds of sorrel, this is called Sorrel de Belleville so I assume it's the French sorrel, and I got it from the Cook's Garden website, which I love.

Any ideas? From what I read online it seems like maybe I planted it too thickly and I need to thin it out better now, but I have not found much guidance.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Sorrel in the veggie garden in New Orleans

• Posted by pointy new orleans (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 28, 09 at 10:36

Hi, just a quick follow up, after a little more online research it seems I should thin the seedlings to 6-12 inches apart, so I'm going to try thinning. If anyone has any other experience with this crop, let me know, thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here