Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbmberg

Suggestions on Shrubs

mbmberg
18 years ago

I am planning a new patio and would like to outline with shrubs. Thing is I already have approx 20 azaleas in my yard (Pink Macrantha, Orange Macrantha, & Hampton Beauty). I also have approx 15 white Indian Hawthorn, 5 Boxwood, Crepe Myrtles, Japanese Magnolias, Hydrangeas, etc.

I want something different for this area but I would prefer something that flowers. I was even thinking of something yellow. Any ideas?

Comments (8)

• maggiemay36
    18 years ago

forsythia (yellow bells) does well here in no.louisiana- mine flowers in the spring and then off and on all summer...

• _sophiewheeler
    18 years ago

Patio implies full sun conditions. What about an everblooming antique easy care rose like Lady Hillingdon, Perle d'Or, or Arethusa? Or one of the newer but still easy care roses like Carefree Sunshine, Baby Love, or Republic of Texas? If shadier conditions prevail, then one of the yellowish hybrid musk roses like Moonlight, Bloomfield Dainy, Danae, or Francesca might do, but they are substantially sized shrubs.

• nanaboo
    18 years ago

You might consider Plumbago (blue flowers). Purple Homestead Verbina is beautiful.

• glenn9643
    18 years ago

Don't know just where you are in LA, but I haven't had any luck with Plumbago in the Monroe area. They just won't survive the winter here and I have to treat them as an annual... but I buy more every year so we'll have the blue blooms.
    Another favorite is lorapedlum (sp?)that is hardy but might get too large for your use.

• nanaboo
    18 years ago

I am located in Baton Rouge. I cut my plumbago down and mulch heavily with pine straw each year. I have not had to replace it yet.

• cajunmama
    18 years ago

Give salvias a try. Indigo Spires will come back every year in south la. and blooms for me April till frost. Lots of perennial salvias available and almost any size, height and sun conditions.
    Beautiful blues, reds, pinks and purples as blooms.

Also like the antique rose idea. Maybe thornless since a patio unless you have a buffer of some kind. Marie Pavie or Marie Daly are nice and almost thornless with fragrant flowers spring through fall. Thomas Affleck is nice too as a nearly thornless rose bred by Antique Rose emporium I believe. Also Valentine is almost thornless with gorgeous red blooms and no spraying etc. for all of these. Mrs. Dudley Cross is a larger rose but nearly thornless for me too and simply outstanding.

Cindy (cajunmama)

• Morgan2475
    18 years ago

You might look into Sweet olive, Banana shrub, Virgina Sweetspire, or Summer sweet. They are all very fragrant shrubs. I only know commom names but I found all of these plus a zillion more on google search for fragrant shrubs.While none are yellow they make up for in in sent!

• brhgm
    18 years ago

I agree with the antique roses idea. The David Austin roses tend to like lots of sun and care. You may want to try some polyantha roses, too. For ultimate disease resistance and low care, try the knockout series of roses. I have all three varieties and eagerly await the new double knockout in the fall. Sweet Olive, Banana Shrub and Virginia Sweetspire are better in the back of your shrubs, they're kind of tall after a few years.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz