Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grass in shady areas in Houma, LA

Posted by gooup z9, LA (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 10:39

Is there any grass that will grow under the shade of Oak Trees in South Louisiana?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grass in shady areas in Houma, LA

• Posted by wisner 9 Louisiana (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 22:07

It's hard to get grass to grow with a lot of shade. I've seen St Augustine grow ok under oak trees. You need to keep the leaves raked up and put some extra fertilizer for the grass. Also, water the grass if it gets dry since the tree roots will take up a lot of moisture.

o

There are quite a few ground cover plants that seem to not mind the lack of water and nutrients in the soil around the base of some trees ivies, etc.

o

St. Augustine is pretty-much the most shade tolerant of the turf grasses. Growing grass under oak trees can be difficult for several reasons.

The heavy/thick canopy of the oaks creates a deep-shade underneath them. You can selectively trim some limbs from the canopy, without destroying the shape and beauty of the tree. This will allow more light through the canopy.

My friend grew a beautiful vegetable garden every year, under two very large beautiful Live Oaks. The vegetables got only about 3 hours of direct sunlight a day. The rest of the light was gained by thinning the canopy.

Oaks exude "tannins" that cause major problems for some plants. This is what was used for many years to "tan" animal hides with. Plants like Asian Jasmine seem to tolerate tannins just fine.

As was mentioned above, large trees of any type will use a lot of the nutrients and water available underneath themselves. You will have to provide extra feeding and watering to keep a nice lawn under oaks or any other trees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Louisiana & Mississippi Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here