Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggiemay36_gw

are your caladiums sprouting?

maggiemay36
18 years ago

just curious....haven't seen mine yet,altho the hostas are coming up.is it still early for caladiums? thanks--maggie

Comments (9)

• david1978jp
    18 years ago

One of mine just comes up a little bud.

• angiebug
    18 years ago

No sign of mine yet, including the ones that I started inside to get a jump-start on the weather. But...it's my first attempt at growing them from bulbs instead of buying the potted ones at the store.

• kumquat12
    18 years ago

Have about 3 popping up. 1 last Saturday, today 3. I never dig them up, do you all think I should?

• maggiemay36
    Original Author
    18 years ago

i haven't dug mine up,this will be the third year i've had them come back-IF they come back! here in north louisiana,it's recommended that you dig and re-plant in spring.it's my understanding that caladium bulbs will rot in cold wet soil.mine are in a well-drained,heavily mulched bed and so far i haven't had to replace any(crossing my fingers!)i think (read somewhere?)that the soil has to get up to a constant 50 degrees before they get started-so..... i was just wondering if anyone had seen signs! you're further south than i am,brensaun,so if yours are just starting,mine shouldn't be far behind! angiebug,how long ago did you pot them? i seem to recall thinking that it took them forever to sprout in pots,but again, i believe it has to be pretty warm for them to kick off. thanks again-maggie

• angiebug
    18 years ago

I started mine in February. Our guest speaker at the landscaping classes at LSU Ag Center suggested starting them in 4 inch pots inside "as soon as you can buy them at the store". She recommended keeping them at 65-70 degrees and moist, but said they wouldn't show any signs of growth for about 30 days. I kept mine inside for about 6 weeks before moving them outside to my portable greenhouse. But if brensaun is in Florida and is just now seeing growth, then maybe ours are just not ready yet.

• angiebug
    18 years ago

For those of us who bought new bulbs this year... my Mom told me this afternoon that she talked to a nursery owner in Richland Parish last week who said that there was a blight affecting the bulbs this year, causing them to rot in the ground. He said that caladium plant prices would probably be pretty high this year because of it. Even nurseries who generally start the bulbs and then sell the plants have been affected.

• nanaboo
    18 years ago

I dig up my caladium bulbs each year and store them in an old panty hose, be sure to label them, and hang them in the garage. I plant the bulbs on May 1st. I use a sharp knife, and slice off a small section off the bulbs, before planting. I feed every 3 weeks with acid fertilizer, 5-10-10. Water often in summer. "Red Flash" grows great in full sun.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    18 years ago

Caladiums were affected this year alright.... mostly by the HURRICANE DAMAGE! All of the major growers make reference to this right on the front of their website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hurricane Pain

• bruggirl100
    18 years ago

So sad that so many commercial nurseries were torn apart by hurricanes. It takes so long to get them up and restarted. Some just give up, take the insurance money, and quit.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?