Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jovy1097

Louisiana/Mississippi Blogs

jovy1097
15 years ago

There doesn't seem to be all that much activity on this portion of GardenWeb. I'd like to get more going. How about first getting everyone in our area with garden blogs to put links to them? I'll be first. I live in central Louisiana and am slowly filling up my yard with all sorts of flowers, shrubs, and vines. I love anything fragrant, really like any type of flowering vine since I have lots of chainlink fence, am getting into butterfly and hummingbird attracting flowers, and have a special passion for roses. Let's get aquainted!

Here is a link that might be useful: Davy's Gardening Blog

Comments (11)

• pjames
    15 years ago

Davy, I liked your blog. I just don't have time to mess with one. The scarlet runner vine sounds interesting, Gonna have to check it out.

One vine I like for fragrance is Confederate jasmine. Evergreen and grows well. Only problem is the very sticky milky sap when it is cut. I grow some on a trellis I use as part of my privacy screen for my pool. I also now have it growing on a long trellis I use as a garden hedge. (Actually this thing is a field fence using U-posts and barbless wire, but since that type of fence isn't condoned in the city, I added some string and called it a trellis..)

• msmitoagain
    14 years ago

My blog is not entirely dedicated to gardening. But, I do post lots of flower pictures on it.

I love our yard, but have other hobbies that get blogged about along with the gardening.

Here is a link that might be useful: MY BLOG - The Japanese Redneck

• ckbozeman
    14 years ago

I was thinking the same thing... not much going on here.
    Unfortunately, I have nothing to add :).
    I'll take pics of my new flower beds this afternoon and upload them to my picture page tomorrow.
    I really tried to plan the flowerbeds and get them just right but I went crazy at the nurseries and started buying everything in sight - ended up planting mostly annuals, with a few perennials here and there in unconvenient places. I'll try to get it right next year! Anyhow, I still think it's very pretty and am proud of my hard work. My first real house with my first real flowerbeds. I'm a newbie at this whole plant thing. I'm already addicted!
    Now if I can just get the garden to grow...

• jacosgarden
    14 years ago

I am a newbie at gardening. We bought a house 3 years ago in the fall after everything had died. Needless to say the next year we had a heck of a freeze after most trees, plants had started to show and nothing bloomed. Then last year what a surprise we got and excitment when things actually bloomed and we can now figure out what we kinda have. Other than one plant that my husband loves but never, until now, have found out what it was. We have one loley old Turk's cap flower. I am so glad I went to your blog and saw the picture of what we could not figure out. Although I don't have a blog etc or pics. Thanks very much for posting yours and helping us out. It was wonderful to find out what we have around the house.

• janet_ms
    14 years ago

I really like this! Sometimes I have a question and I'm not sure which forum to post on. Right now I'm trying to get some info on what I think is called an alligator plant, or mabe mother of millions. Does anyone know anything about it?

• jovy1097
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Give me a description of this alligator plant. I'm not sure what it is until you describe it. In my area of Louisiana, people generally call common horsetail "alligator grass." The Latin name of common horsetail is Equisetum hyemale. Below is a picture of it.

• janet_ms
    14 years ago

Wow, that's really pretty, but it's not what I need. This is a plant with striped folige and tiny babies all over the leaves that fall off and root. I googled it, but I can't find anyplace to get it near me.

• dancer36
    14 years ago

Mother of millions is a very invasive plant. When we bought our house last year there were thousands of them growing. I filled my garbage can trying to getting rid of them. The only reason they are now gone is because we had 4 ft of water from the hurricanes.

• janet_ms
    14 years ago

That's what I've heard. Iwant one to put in a gourd planter that I woodburned in a basketweave pattern. It's about a gallon size, I guess. I plan on keeping it on the window ledge at the library where I work. It'll get plenty of light, so I'm hoping it will thrive.

• Kathy Johnson
    14 years ago

Could what you be looking for be Devil's backbone...Bryophyllum Daigremontianum? This plant is very prolific!!! I got tired of picking babies off so set the mature plants outside over the winter to try to kill them. The little buggers are now all in my oregano patch. I pull them out as I can & stuff them in a trash bag.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County