Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pat36590

Dogs

pat36590
18 years ago

Can anyone out there tell me how to keep male dogs from urinating on my roses and trees i just planted.

Comments (12)

• jim2k
    18 years ago

There is a spray Pet-away I think it's called some say mothballs work to I know they work on snakes it's the smell they use there tonge to smell it dont taste good I guess. I just holler at mine till they get the idea.that works good luck Jim

• _sophiewheeler
    18 years ago

It's called a fence, and most communities require that your neighbors keep their dogs behind one. Or, if it's your dog, then keep him in the house and give him supervised visitation to the back yard where you train him to go in a particular sacrificial spot--and a fence.

• taffyj
    18 years ago

Yup - If its not your dog, talk to the owner about obeying the leash law. If you can't find/don't know the owner, contact animal control to pick the dog up. If the dog has no tags or collar, its probably a nuisance to others, too, and needs to go. Or, if the owner refuses to do anything, file an official complaint, and encourage other neighbors to do so too. If the authorities get more than one complaint, they are more likely to do something.

There was a pack of dogs roaming my old neighborhood, some purebreds with collars, and some stray mutts of all kinds, large and small. Nothing on my property was safe, not even my children. Luckily, we moved away and I never had to really deal with them.

If people don't wanna contain their dogs, they shouldn't be too upset about losing them, because they obviously don't really love them anyway.

• drasaid
    18 years ago

I have been told also that sometimes a small fence (only about a foot high) will keep out dogs, even though the dogs could easily jump it. I have not experimented as I have a patio garden: my female dogs EAT my stuff (and scratch themselves, knocking the pots over and breaking them.)

• Louisiana_botanist
    18 years ago

Just saying to contact Animal Control is easier said than done at least here in East Baton Rouge Parish. I've contacted the East Baton Rouge Parish Animal Control on numerous occasions in the past regarding feral dog packs in my neighborhood and the animal control agents always tell me they don't have the time or man power to pickup feral dogs in neighborhoods, although their answering machine states that it is illegal for dogs to be free roaming and not have current rabies vacination tags.

• cajunmama
    18 years ago

Drasaid-
    One foot high fence doesn't keep my dogs out of the beds. Had a real problem with them digging a small little bed for some reason even with 14 inch fence (they would jump it and dig away). They kept digging up my agapanthus. I would replant and next week they dug it up again. Didn't want to plant anything with thorns as someone suggested because I would just be at the vet spending $ and dealing with hurt dogs. Tried a few different plants but they still dug. Well, finally planted society garlic and low and behold they haven't gone near the bed since and it's been months. Thought maybe the smell would turn them off and it seems to be working. Anyone else experience society garlic as a dog deterrent?
    cajunmama

• brhgm
    18 years ago

cayenne pepper works well for some dogs. It's gross, but dog feces generally is repulsive to dogs.

• _sophiewheeler
    18 years ago

Most dogs I've been around (and I've volunteered with a shelter for about 6 years now and worked with thousands) actually revel in dog feces, cat feces, or any other feces. If they're not ingesting it, they're rolling in it. Dogs don't mind garlic either. After all, they really don't mind skunk either. It's our olfactory senses that do. Some dogs like red pepper, bitter apple, and mint and other substances that folklore says keeps them or cats away.

In the end, supervision, training, and a good electric wire from the co-op work the best. In that order.

• pittypatt
    18 years ago

I was just told about using a water blaster spray gun- loaded with a mixture of vinegar & water. Basically wait till you see them and take aim & blast away. I got one and tried it- it works! My neighbor's rott has not been back! We have no animal control where I live- the owners refuse to take care of it & i was sick to death of yelling and chasing the dog away. Don't get me wrong- I love animals as I have so many of my own- but mine are all fenced in and bother no one. Sometimes you just have to try something like this instead of waiting on the owners to do the right thing- or calling animal control if you have any. Good Luck!

• mrs_emily
    18 years ago

I put up an eight foot fence and the neighbor's pitt still managed to climb over it. Once they establish the spot where they get use to "going", it's a long hard battle to make them go away. Finally, after many phone calls and even a letter to our fine Governor, I got the results I wanted. Since my neighbor refused to keep the dog contained, Animal Control eventually picked it up, but it took perserverance on my part and about six months. All the garlic in the world would not have stopped that dog.

• Carole39
    18 years ago

Wire fence,vinyl coated green or white, from L's - about 2' high, comes in 8 or 12 foot sections -and is pretty much keeping dogs out of the rose beds in the front, they were tromping in the bed, don't know whose they are.
    We have a big problem with the two dogs who have dug holes alongside/under, the back fence in more than 5 places, a dozen 1x8x6's and bricks even some 2x6x4's have fallen through,not to mention a lot of soil, my 12yr old Heritage rose has exposed roots on that side along with other prized plants. These people do not care, they were out of town for a week+ recently, and I went every evening to fill their water (the dogs, that is) and give some treats, mostly so they wouldn't bite me, and saw how bad the holes are. Can't go in there when the people are home, they won't move their trash so I can paint my fence on that side either......

• rcalhoun
    18 years ago

In Ouachita Parish our animal control responded to my problem, not digging up plants, (I grow lots of cactus and agaves-OUCH!) but dogs knocking over the trash cans. The animal service brought out a big trap, that night we caught the neighbor's black lab, who was picked up and hauled away. The neighbors keep her in a fence these days.

I read this in a book a few weeks back and thought it was appropriate to this discussion. "If you were a dog, a dead possum would look like the Mona Lisa," ~ James Morrow, "The War of Worldviews", in Mars Probes