Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alibaba_gw

Which type of mulch?

alibaba
20 years ago

Just wondering what type of mulch is best for general use? Most of my plantings will be "typical" stuff - azaleas, boxwood, burford holly, indian hawthorne, plus some shade loving annuals. I know that some plants do better with specific mulches, but is there one type that's sort of universal?

Comments (11)

• sherri_louisiana
    20 years ago

I think the best mulch is whatever you can get free. I use pine straw. Sherri

• leapgirl
    20 years ago

In Biloxi we've been told not to use hardwood mulch in beds along the foundation because it attracts termites. Pine straw has been recommended instead.

• Papa_LA
    20 years ago

My wife and I gather up many bags of various leaves left on the curbside for pick up by the city. We shred them and use them for very fine mulch around all flowers and shrubs. They look nice and completely cover the soil--no sunlight to help weeds germinate.

Hardwood mulch is not more attractive to termites than any other unless you are talking about large chips (2 inch chunks) which harbor the pests if infested and if a laying queen is present. No queen--no future for the colony--in fact, no queen--no colony, just a bunch of individuals that will live a very short time. These chips take a year or more to decompose.

• alibaba
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I never thought of termites - yikes! We bought a couple of bails of the pine straw yesterday - it just looks so lofty and messy compared to the chips. Some of the pine bark is finely ground - how would that work?

• live_oak_lady
    20 years ago

I was told to put only cypress mulch around the house because it seems to repel termites. However, out in the yard I use pine straw around azaleas and camellias as it is prettier and can be fluffed up frequently. Besides, pine straw is free if you go to the parks and rake it.
    Want to repel termites around your house foundation? Plant vetiver.

Coleen

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    19 years ago

Coleen, I've noticed that you frequently promote vetiver. I never see anybody else mention it. It makes a great scrim where I don't want a direct view into the garden. Mine is starting to bloom. Wonder why it isn't more popular?

Nell

• soundgarden
    19 years ago

I use chopped up grass and leaves that I get from other people. If I get oak leaves, I run them over a couple times with the mower to chop them up so they don't blow away so quickly. The grass is green for the first few days, but once it dries and turns brown, it looks fine and it add nutrients to your soil as it breaks down.
    Speaking of which, it's garbage night! Gotta run!!!

PS - If you absolutely must buy bags of mulch, Lowes sells the bags of mulch that are ripped open for 50% off.

Annie

• Django
    19 years ago

I have two large pines and a live oak in the back yard. I just rake and spread. Every once in a while I mix in some coffee grinds.

• live_oak_lady
    19 years ago

Nell, I think vetiver went out of style when all the "new and improved" plants became popular. Our family has planted it since the late 1800's and I have continued the practice merely because it is considered by me to be an historical plant in Louisiana.
    I don't know any other way to propagate it except by root stock. Surely, there must be a seed propagation (I shall let my patient husband try that).
    I don't know why people don't grow it--it is surely almost indestructible and nothing eats it. I have two sacks of the roots waiting to be bundled as I write.(My husband dug and washed the roots for me). The gift shop at Christmas in the Oaks in City Park sells it during the light exhibit. (Sometimes I do get to be a procrastinator about bundling and tying).
    Coleen

• greenelbows1
    19 years ago

Maybe one of the reasons it isn't grown more is it's so hard to find to buy! It's also not very hardy--New Orleans is just enough warmer than here that you probably don't have the trouble I have had with it. Lost it one extra-cold winter and haven't found it to replace it. And it smells so great! Wonder if it would be hardier in one of my big containers? I find a lot of things will survive in those that die in the ground.

• live_oak_lady
    19 years ago

I have grown it in pots. It makes a very nice display in pots. And, the roots grow round in round pots and I use them as wreaths without any effort.

Sponsored